Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My daughter 22yrs old went to Urgent Care on Saturday due to

My daughter 22yrs old went to Urgent Care on Saturday due to severe lower abdominal cramping on Saturday. They said she had a slight bladder infection. And they told her to take some over the counter meds,in which she bought. She had already been drinking plenty of water and cranberry juice just in case that's what is was. She thought they would do a vag exam,but they didn't. She said she was in and out in 5 minutes. She wasn't pleased at all. She said it was like they didn't want to pay any attention to her. So she went to her Dr. on Monday and they started to do a pelvic and vag exam. The Midwife face quickly changed and tolled her the upper part of her cervix was white and the lower part was the normal pinkish color, the Midwife suddenly said,I have to go get the Dr.. He comes in and takes a look and wispers to the Midwife, she needs to see an Oncologist,thinking my daughter didn't hear him and he suddenly says,we need to do a biopsy. He does the biopsy and starts to leave the room and my daughter stops him. and ask him what he thinks it is. he says a bad infection or this or that(can't remember the two other things my daughter told me,that's why i called it this or that), or cancer. The midwife kept feeling her ovaries and stuff through the vag exam and then told her to get dressed and told her to come back in two weeks,but during that time they would call her with the results,and the midwife left the room and never came back. a nurse comes in and tells her she can leave. and they set her up with another appointment.
my daughter is scared half to death and so am I. Why wouldn't they talk to her on what to expect. If it's this we need to do this,or if it's that we need to do this. They just left her thought go crazy. I know you don't know my daughter,and you are just going on what I'm telling you, but what do you think? My daughter did have a pap 2mths ago and it was clear. Why the sudden change in her cervix? I'm afraid it's cancer and she is to. 9mths after I had her,I had to have a hysterectomy because of uterine cancer. I'm just afraid she will have to have this done before she has children. I know this may be possible. but i hope not. I just would like to know what your thought might be. She has been on birth control meds also. Her periods come monthly but will last up to 10 days, but are light with alot of cramping the first couple of days. Again,what do you think from what I have told you. I would appreciate any answers or thoughts.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

I do not think this is likely to be cancer. The reasons are;

1) Her pap was normal just 2 months ago.
2) Cancer cervix is rare in her age group.
3) It is difficult to diagnose cancer just by the clinical exam.
4) Her symptoms do not point to cancer.

There is a definite possibility that whatever you overheard was not the word cancer. It is likely to be cervicitis, cervical erosion or endometriosis. Please do not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She heard cancer alright, that's the one word she won't forget. Endometriosis,I had that problem myself along with hairy cyst and chocolate cyst occuring. but will endometriosis cause the cervix to turn white? or evencervicitis or erosion?

Cancer usually is rare to turn the cervix white. Cervicitis with pelvic inflammatory disease can cause her symptoms and changes in cervix. A cancer diagnosis by a physical examination is quite rare. Than for her age of 22, cancer again is quite unlikely. Please do not think too much over it and get anxious and I am certain that this will come out to be a benign issue.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are there only certain times you are answering questions? I would like to get back to you when we hear the results of the biopsy. What are the causes of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?

The icon shows offline and online status. I get an email message so if I am not with the patients or not operating or not sleeping, I try to answer it as soon as possible. Please keep me updated.

Pelvic inflammatory disease can be due to;

1) sexually transmitted infections
2) non sexually transmitted infections.

Basically it means that lower part of the pelvis has significant infection and inflammation.

This is usually easily treatable by the antibiotics.

It is privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome.

Good luck.