Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I have flat red spots on the palms of my hands. About four

I have flat red spots on the palms of my hands. About four days ago I had a sore throat and a canker sore or two and that has gone away. Two nights ago I saw the spots on my hands. Not itchy but kind of irritated. One of them is more on the pinky finger and looks like a blister. My grandson, age fifteen months, was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with foot hand and mouth disease. I just assumed that is what I got, but there is a question about whether that virus can affect an adult. I feel pretty good and the spots appear to be lessening on my palms, I do see one or two on my one foot. Do you think it could be the same virus as my grandson?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Do you have itching on these spots?
Is there any discharge?
Do you have any spots on mouth?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no itching. no discharge. No spots in mouth. Two canker sores which are now gone.
Thanks for the info given.The symptoms you have described is most likely due to hand foot mouth disease(HFMD) only.HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old but can also occur in adults. Adults who develop the disease usually experience milder symptoms than children. Other possibility is of syphilis,Impetigo,insect bite,allergic reaction. But most likely this is due to HFMD only.

Coxsackie virus is the most common cause of HFMD.This disease is very contagious (easily spread).This virus can remain in the body for weeks after the child's symptoms have gone away. This means that the child can still pass the infection to other people even though he appears well.There is a short four- to six-day incubation period between exposure and development of initial symptoms.Treatment is usually not needed as the body's immune system clears the virus and symptoms go away after about 7 to 10 days.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist