Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

How long does it take to recover from pancreatitis. My blood

Customer Question

How long does it take to recover from pancreatitis. My blood work, cat scan, and chest and stomach x rays are normal along with the ultrasound on my stomach. But I'm still vomiting after I eat or drink anything.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.

DrTharun :

How long have you been suffering from pancreatitis ? Any fever or abdominal pain?

Customer: About two weeks now. When I went to the ER my lipase levels were only at about 580 and they are now normal along with all the other tests that have been ran on me. I am still experiencing some abdomal pain not as bad only after I eat of drink. The nausea is what has got my so sick. I'm not running fever.
DrTharun :

Any medications you are taking ?

Customer:

phenergan for nausea. but i can't keep it down and when i can it prevents the vomiting but doesn't help the nausea.

DrTharun :

It could be gastritis - inflammation of the stomach which could cause these symptoms after having food.you need to take some antacids like prilosec or neksium to see if it helps.

DrTharun :

There may some residual pain as the healing pancreas is activated once you eat food and cause some pain

Customer:

i'm taking nexium and it helps with my acid reflux but not the vomiting.

Customer:

i'm just concerned with the fact i can't get my vomiting under control. any idea at how long this could last?

DrTharun :

You can add domperidone or itopride along with it reduce the nausea.

Customer:

are those over the counter?

DrTharun :

You may get it oTC

Customer:

should i be concerned that my nausea is not getting better and go back to the ER or should I try to ride this out?

DrTharun :

As long as your appetite is good and there is no fever and abdominal pain and you are passing stools you can wait for it improve of its own

Customer:

i don't have an appetite. i literally can not keep food down. i am passing stools but I've not eaten solid foods in four days. i'm not having abdominal pain only if i attempt to eat something which I immediately vomit back up. like i said i'm just concerned about dehydrated and not being able to eat or drink anything.

DrTharun :

If you cannot keep any food down it is better to get IV fluids and IV medications to control the vomiting and prevent dehydration.If you are able to keep down fluids and juices then take plenty of them and you can avoid IV medications

Customer:

Okay. I'm going to try and continue taking my nausea medications and drinking pedalyte tonight and if I'm still having issues tomorrow then I will go back to the ER.

Customer:

Thank you for you help.

DrTharun :

Solids are not always necessary if you can drink plenty

Customer:

I'm trying chicken broth but I keep throwing it up. I hope there isn't anything else going on with me.

DrTharun :

Try more strained soups and juices and pedialyte

Customer:

okay. thank you for your help.

Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience: MBBS