Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

My neutrophil level goes up and down very rapidly. the highest

My neutrophil level goes up and down very rapidly. the highest i have had it in the last 8 months is 2.3 and i was pleased because i felt good inside a feeling i dont usually have. Most times it is between 1.28 and 1.9. I have a few good days but most times i have fevers with joint pains, headaches, i am often tired. I feel cold a lot of times and i sweat a lot.
Inhave done a number of tests and have been told that any potential secondary causes for mild neutropenia this have been ruled out. I just wanted to know if these feelings can be attributed to me being a sickle cell carrier (AS). By the way i had a bout of severe laryngitis last year november and i was down for about 3weeks.

Pauline :

Hello, do you have the rest of your blood results?

Pauline :

Has your GP referred you to hospital for further investigation?

Pauline :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

i have some results but i was told that they are ok. my gp did refer me to an haematologist. they conducted some other test and said it was ok

Customer:

and that i should have regular blood tests over the next six months and then probably have a bone marrow biopsy then if problem persists

Pauline :

It is good that the hematologists felt that watching and waiting is appropriate. Your blood tests must be good enough to rule out an acute marrow problem however they are correct in saying that a bone marrow biopsy is the ultimate investigation.

Pauline :

It is important that you avoid dehydration however most people with sickle cell trait (carrier) do not usually have symptoms from their problem.

Customer:

there was something else i was unclear about he mentioned something about it is possible that when i have infections my count goes down, because there has been a trend in that when i can barely get out of bed and have a testdone the wbc is low, my understanding is that when you are fighting an infection your wbc increases.

Pauline :

White cells can reduce in infections...the white cells are a important part of the immune response however we get more concerned if they do not return to normal when an infection is over. We also want to check that red cells and platelets are normal too.

Customer:

Ok i see, thank you for that piece of information. At the moment, rbc and plateletes are ok. Can stress trigger a low wbc and is it ok to have a normal wbc count range btw 4 and 5.

Pauline :

Total white cells reference range is 4-12 but that is only a population range, so some people will be at the low end of this and be normal.

Pauline :

We do tend to say that stress causes people to be 'run down' but I do not have any papers directly linking a low white cell count and stress.

Customer:

Thank you again. there is one last matter that i would like to clarify - one of the doctors made mention of me possibly having racial neutropenia. I couldnt find out much about it online, however there is no history of this in my family and i only started having issues with my WBC this year.

Pauline :

There is a theoretical link to ethnic origin and low white cells. As long as you are able to mount a response to acute infection then we would not be worried about it.

Customer:

I think i have asked you all that was on my mind...

Pauline :

I hope this was helpful. please press 'accept' in order to credit my time.

Pauline :

Best wishes

Customer:

thank you again, best wishes to you too.