Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

severe menstraul cramps that have been going on for 12 hours

I am having severe menstraul cramps that have been going on for 12 hours and has not been responding to 800mg avil which I have taken three times since 9 am today. Why is the advil no longer working and what can i do to help the pain? I am VERY sensitve to narcotic pain killers and afraid to take them
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

The menstrual cramps can be treated with the use of NSAID drugs like ibuprofen, advil, motrin etc a day before the start of menstrual periods.

The prescriptions drugs like mefenemic acid may be used if the symptoms are severe.The oral hormonal drugs may also be used .

The underlying cause should also be treated as in some cases the uterine fibroids, endometriosis, abnormal tissues etc may also cause such symptoms.

Here is the link for more information

treatment of menstrual cramps

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already mentioned I took a ton of nsads. What can I do tonight because the pain is really bad. Advil is not working.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

You may repeat the drug like aspirin and also use a heating pad on your lower abdomen which appears to be just as effective as over-the-counter pain medication for relieving menstrual cramps.The soaking in hot bath is also effective.

The physical activity or exercise may also ease the pain of menstrual cramps in some cases.

If the pain is severe then injectable pain killers like dynapar or tramadol may be tried.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you