Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Postpartum question.

Customer Question

I have yet another postpartum question and of course my doctor's office is closed. During my last pregnancy (the 5th), I developed some sort of weird nausea starting around the 6th month. It wasn't every day, but most days of the week and only occurred during the late afternoon to early evening hours and lasted until I went to sleep or until I broke down and took a Phenergan or a Zofran. There were times when I would even wake up in the middle of the night with either vomiting or extreme nausea. My Midwife didn't have an explanation but because it wasn't happening every day or all day, figured it was a hormonal issue. After the birth, I was excited that I had what I thought was instant relief. I was able to eat many foods again that would've made me sick during the final months of the pregnancy. What I've found though is that some of that evening nausea has returned. I am currently only 3 1/2 weeks postpartum and while I've never dealt with this ongoing nausea before, especially after giving birth, I do wonder if my tummy muscles were simply overtaxed the 5th time around. I've found that when I apply pressure in the spot just below my ribcage, I can get some relief. I've since bought a tummy support wrap and that seems to help as well. I'm 36 and this is my 5th child, so for all I know, my tummy muscles are simply weak and I need to give it more time to heal. Or could it be a sign of something more serious? I just figure something isn't right when the nausea continues to be so bad, that I am still needing to take the Phenergan and Zofran (granted not nearly as often as I did while pregnant).

I'm told that I need to offer to pay a bonus. I usually do, although I don't see this option while editing the question.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Nurse Milli :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Yes i am.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there

Customer:

Hello! :)

Nurse Milli :

sorry to hear you have been dealing with this nausea

Nurse Milli :

:) hi there

Customer:

Thanks :) It was a pain while pregnant and annoyed that it is continuing. :(

Nurse Milli :

let me ask you .... are you having any associated pain with the nausea or

Nurse Milli :

yes, I could imageine

Nurse Milli :

*imagine

Nurse Milli :

do you have abdominal pain or back pain with the nausea?

Customer:

I don't *think* I'm having pain with the nausea. Oh, if it's lower abdominal, then no. And no back pain. I wondered if it was pain I felt because when I apply pressure to my upper tummy, it helps and since putting the abdomen wrap (a postpartum tummy binder) on, it does feel better.

Customer:

But I'm fairly certain it is nausea, because I do often feel as though I'm going to throw up while experience it. :(

Nurse Milli :

the reason I was asking is because the gallbladder (disease) can cause nausea. Having children (pregnancy) puts you at a little bit higher risk for gallbladder disease vs. someone who isn't prego

Nurse Milli :

..and you being pregnant 5 times def elevates your risk for gallbladder disease

Nurse Milli :

gallbladder disease can be perceived as nausea, it can also cause pain in the back, or even the shoulder(s)

Nurse Milli :

I'm not saying that is 100% the reason here, but certainly worth checking into

Nurse Milli :

and because the nausea didn't go away after childbirth, I would say it does not correlate to your pregnancy

Nurse Milli :

(as in, not related to hormones)

Nurse Milli :

a simple gallbladder scan (ultrasound) can tell your Dr if the gallbladder is to blame

Customer:

OK....could it be at all caused by having weak tummy muscles? And another weird thing that I thought of was that when I drink something carbonated, that seems to help as well. I don't know if it's because I'm able to belch or if it's just a coincidence.

Nurse Milli :

well gallbladder disease can cause an increase in gas on the stomach so the ability to belch would help, that is not really a coincidence-I think that is a viable connection you have found

Nurse Milli :

I don't think the weak stomach muscles would be too related here

Customer:

OK, thanks :)

Customer:

and it can be something that doesn't cause constant nausea? Such as it can come and go as it has?

Customer:

I will call in tomorrow and make an appointment with my family doctor.

Nurse Milli :

You are welcome, I hope you get to feeling better. I would definitely see my Dr for the scan. As far as other causes, it could be H. Pylori (a bacteria that affects the gut), or even gastritis

Nurse Milli :

if your ultrasound scan is found to be negative and the nausea continues, your Dr may order a upper GI study

Nurse Milli :

the Appt sounds great!

Customer:

I thought of H. Pylori, because I'm so prone to morning sickness but I had to have a round of antibiotics while pregnant, so figured that would've taken care of it. Could it still be a culprit?

Nurse Milli :

Yes, it could still be a culprit. Not all antibiotics will cover a H Pylori infectin

Nurse Milli :

*infection

Nurse Milli :

Presently, the most commonly used treatment regimen for H pylori infection that fail an initial course of antibiotic therapy is bismuth-based quadruple therapy. This treatment consists of bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole(Flagyl), and tetracycline 4 times daily for 7 to 14 days. Given the potential benefits for patients with metronidazole-resistant strains of H pylori, this therapy should be combined with a PPI once to twice daily.

Customer:

OK. Thank you so much for the info. :)

Nurse Milli :

thank you for allowing me to help :)

Customer:

I will certainly call in tomorrow for an appointment.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry--trying to send you a bonus and the site kept freezing up. I finally got the funds in, but it wouldn't send directly to you. Trying to see if replying here again will "re-open" the question so I can do another accept and send the bonus. :)
Hi there, I got it! Don't accept again unless you just want to....I did get credit for the accept and the bonus, and it is very much appreciated. Thank you again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, glad it went through. I just didn't get confirmation on my end. :)
Ok good deal. Let me know how the Dr visit turn out, okay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi! I just had my appointment this morning. The H Pyoli was negative and she felt fairly confident that it wasn't my gallbladder.

But she said my symptoms were classic signs of a hiatal hernia causing acid reflux. After pushing on my tummy some, she felt confident in her diagnosis. So I'm continuing to wear my tummy wrap, taking prilosec for the next 2 weeks, and getting lots of rest while my body tries to put itself back together again.

I have a follow-up appointment in two more weeks. And when i'm strong enough, she recommended I do some pilates and yoga to help get my tummy strong again.
Good deal! Thank you for letting me know and I hope you feel better very soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Removing as I got in touch with my doc's office today. :)