DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.

How can I stop intractable, post-operative hiccups?

Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
how long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is Day 6, it began 3 days after surgery. There have only been a few hours here and there with no hiccups in the last few days. Have a prescription for Thorazine but very concerned about serious side effects and don't want to take it.
The longer you don't take it the less likely it is to work
side effects are not so much a problem with short term use
Reglan and baclofen can work as well

If you have not tried
gargle with ice water...this is one you might not have tried
If it does not work...listen to your doctor
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you mean, "the longer you don't take it the less likely it is to work"? What medicine are you talking about?

Sorry longer you don't take it the longer you go without relief.
Thorazine is probably the most used and most effective out of the three.
but it does not always work to get rid the hiccups either.
So definitive treatement after six days is probably wiser, than waiting 6 weeks.
This tends to be a self perpetuating cycle.
I would try any manuevers you can, if nothing works, start a medication.
Tell me if there is any predominant symptom that goes along with these?

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry, I'm still having trouble understanding your answers.

When you say "start a medication" -- well, I'm already taking Nexium and Baclofen, after having tried and given up on Clonopin. Are you saying to stop Baclofen and take Thorazine? How long should I give the Baclofen to work?

And when you say "maneuvers", do you mean things like the ice-water gargle?

Finally, when you say "any predominant symptom that goes along with these", do you mean you want me to describe my hiccups?

I've heard there is some kind of shot you can get into the phrenic nerve -- do you know anything about that? And I've also read about IV Nefopam. Are either of those realistic options?

Maneuvers
ice water gargle
meds...per your doc
yes describe if there is a predominant contingent symptom
novocaine in the phreinic nerve has been done...puts you in the OR
Neofpam is an iv infusion, might work and they might come right back
no good data on that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hiccups alternate between small/frequent/quiet (approx 60 per minute) and large/loud/violent/burp-like but not as frequent. No clear reason why sometimes they are so violent and other times not. Both types happen while awake and while asleep. Only other major related symptom is constipation, probably from painkillers. Off Oxycontin now, still taking occasional Percocet. Taking lots of herbal constipation remedies (Cascara Sagrada, magnesium oxide,various digestive stimulators, coffee enemas) but still no natural peristalsis.

Ok
one more home remedy before you have your doc switch meds
Arsenicum Album, from the health food store
Get a 30C potency
Whole foods stores also have this
Take one pill under the tongue
3 to 4 times a day until relief then a dose only if symptoms start to come back

no drug
no toxicity
good luck again

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.