Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

Can chronic post nasal drip cause swollen lymph nodes?

Can chronic post nasal drip cause swollen lymph nodes? Don't feel there's a sinus infection. I tried Flonase for a week which helped about 75% but they still feel swollen. Unless it takes a while...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer...
Where exactly do you feel the enlargement of lymph nodes?
Are they painful?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Underneath back of jaw at neck and on sides of the Adam's apple.
No pain I can feel when I swallow.. may have aggravated by palpitating the area constantly checking.
Any infection in the head and neck area can result in enlargement of lymph nodes. This could be an overt infection or a sub-clinical infection (without any symptoms which is cleared up by the immune system---and lymph nodes are part of immune system). If these lymph nodes have been present persistently for many days without any improvement in size, these should be investigated...
A comprehensive clinical examination, blood tests like a CBC will be helpful. Your doctor may proceed with biopsy of the lymph nodes, in order to ascertain the exact underlying cause so as to start a specific management plan...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Had an annual physical 3 weeks ago. I would have thought the doctor would have felt something. I know he felt the neck area, but maybe he was just checking thyroid. Complete CBC workup all normal. So you don't feel constant sinus drainage in the throat, which is pretty bad right now, would cause lymph nodes to swell. Again if there's an infection it would have to be sub-clinical, because I don't feel it. I do feel like a back tooth has chipped recently, it's an upper and too far back to see. But there's no pain or sensitivity.
BTW.. I didn't really notice the swelling at the time of physical so it wasn't addressed. He noticed thyroid nodule which I'm getting checked but since have been probing the area trying to find it and noticed nodes felt swollen. Doc never mentioned it. Said to get nodule checked, no rush. Node near thyroid feels ok. Guess I can have the endo look at it, but appointment is a few weeks away.
These enlarged lymph nodes can be due to sinus infection, or any other infection (that may be sub-clinical giving only the lymph node enlargement---such as a viral infection). If you feel that the sinus infection is active, get it treated by means of antibiotics. Logically as the sinus infection subsides, the lymph nodes swelling should also subside. If despite treatment of sinus infection these remain enlarged, get them evaluated, and the tests I have mentioned earlier, the most helpful being the lymph node biopsy.