Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I like to put a problem out there that wasnt solved and see

I like to put a problem out there that wasn't solved and see if any of you have knowledge on this.

When I was 23 I got up on a Sunday went to church and while there started feeling a little physically 'strange'. While driving home I was hit with a large wave of feeling I was going to black out accompanied with some mild sweating and shaking. When I arrived home I layed down in bed and the blacking out feeling started coming in waves. I never blacked out. The the feeling was so extremely strong that my parents took me to the emergency room.

Here's the problem. They never diagnosed me. I had these blacking waves coming about every 5-8 sec. for it continued for 7 1/2 HOURS! Toward the last hour or so the strong waves of blacking out became farther apart. Every 10 - 15 minutes. I was crying by this time and laying there saying "please stop". I was sweating and shaking the whole time. Suddenly it's was as though a switch was thrown. Within 2-3 sec. it all stopped. I felt my whole system 'align'. I don't know how else to describe it. It was as though my entire system was going crazy and then.....nothing. I just looked at my family and said ...."it stopped". It was so complete that it felt like nothing ever happened. I just lay there soaking wet as though nothing had happened.

I've since had episodes that come on like this and can last for days off and on but only for an hour or so. But what happened above is what kicked it off. I was in a automobile accident a few years before this started but the doctor has discounted this.

I can't tell you what a horrible day that was and how I would like to find out what is happening to me. If anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it. Maybe someone you know will recognize this....I can't begin to tell you how I would love to know.
Thank for the site.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
what kinds of tests have you had so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, all the basics. My cardio tests don't seem to show anything. I had an MRI and zip. Blood tests seem to show nothing unusual. But there basic tests. The gasto guy doesn't seem to see anything. My blood pressure jumps around alot but within fairly normal ranges. I think this is "outside the box" so to speak. and it's hard to get testing outside the box. My husband works for a large corporation and as you know insurance plans have all of us boxed in to network ideas know. This started during the early 70s which was a very bad time to develop anything. But it seems that if it's not showing up in the ordinary run of the mill testing there's just no interest.

This is so horrible on me and my family. I'm a great mom and just all around woman so it's been exasperating. But something is showing up out of nowhere and causing me severe distress. There has to be a specialist that can approach this differently. Maybe look in a different direction.

Like I said I've had all the basic tests and it's not showing anything. Somethings not being looked at but......I don't know what. Someone told me that there are specialists that study symtoms. They specialize in this. I've never heard of this but I'm looking for something that fall outside the ordinary ideas. The basic MRI's and blood tests aren't doing it. I suggested a PET scan and the doctor said I didn't want that.

I don't know. Why are they so reluctant to go there. I'm not sure.

how about EKG and holter monitoring?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I've had that done, both. Nada. Also a stress tests. It's not just the horrible waves of blacking out. It feels like my entire system is in severe distress. I tried keeping a diary of events one time to see if I could find out what was setting it off. But when I brought it to the doctor he just set it aside and walked out without it.

My husband and I are fortunate so we would be willing to go somewhere else for answers but I have no idea where to go or who to see. I know there are great hospitals out there but I wouldn't even know here to begin. Any basic test your thinking of I've probably had. I just keep getting hit with this horrible thing.

I am going to opt out and see if anyone else knows...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As a side note. A neurologist sent me to Loyola Med. where they were doing do research on panic attacks. When I arrived to talk to them they told me I was not having panic attacks. That my systems were not panic attacks systems and they couldn't help me. So I also headed in that direction. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Have you had an evaluation or any tests for possible seizure activity?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had childhood "daydreaming" seizures that weren't severe in that I only got them once every frew months. The doctor said that I might possibly have them disappear on their own unusually in my early 20's, which amazingly they did.

However, I was in a bad automobile accident at l8 which resulted in a severe concussion for openers. Shortly afterward I started getting faint feeling occasionally, not often, but it was there. They did eeg scans and they showed nothing. Because

these only show'd up every few months they weren't happening during the testing. When they do show up it's horrible. I just always wanted whatever is happening to be diagnosed as something. It's scary now that I'm older to think that something might really end up being wrong someday and I might think it's this....whatever.

The doctors have never been really interested. I know when you feel faint and you lie down you feel better. But with this it gets severely worse. I have to get up and keep moving around. It could be some kind of seizures but unless the neurologist see something on a test he's completely reluctant to diagnose. I wrote all the systems down and tracked things for a month. When I brought them to the neurologist he discarded them saying they weren't necessary.

I feel terrible bothering people with this. But I just so much want to have something to help me understand. The accident at l8 was a turning point but the blacking out things didn't get really severe until I was 30. Maybe some kind of seizure. How do I find them???

Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Your problem is a perplexing one, and I sympathize with you in your "plight" to get answers. But, your symptoms do sound like some type of seizure activity. And, since you also have a childhood history of seizure activity, most likely this is what your episodes are----they have just "evolved" with age and possibly with the added injury from the accident.

Since your biggest problem at this point is trying to determine the problem, and/or get a diagnosis, here are some links that may help:

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

This page has much information about seizure activity and epilepsy. There are also many links/resources listed at the bottom of the page.

You may even consider contacting Mayo Clinic and making an appointment to see what they can do for you in the way of diagnosis. Here is a link, which includes a page where you can contact them:

Mayo Clinic

There continues to be much research done in the field, so please don't give up hope. Here's an interesting article: Discovery's Edge

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management