Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I am trying to lose weight. I have been working hard at it

I am trying to lose weight. I have been working hard at it for 6 weeks. The first 5 weeks I lost about 30 pounds, but my weight loss has slowed down. The 6th week I only lost 2 pounds. I would like to find out if I should change the number of calories I am eating, or what else I can change to speed up my weight loss.

I eat between 1300 and 1400 calories a day
I drink 100-130 ounces of water per day
I do 1.5 hours of intense cardio 6 days a week (according to my machines I am burning around 1100 calories, although I know that isnt 100% accurate).
I weigh 195, I am 5 ft 5 inches, I am 27 years old (female).

I am frustrated that my weight loss has slowed down. I feel like I could be working out less and eating more and lose basically the same amount of weight.
Should I increase my calories? Or should I try to limit the number of carbs I am eating? I would appreciate your advice!
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

It is important to eat the correct balance of foods to get the right nutrients and to help your body function properly so that weight loss will continue. Your water intake is fine, and your exercise routine looks OK as well, however you should change up your exercise and add some weight training at least 3 days a week. Cardio workouts use calories and are good for cardiovascular health. But you also need to build muscle which will make you look better, feel better and will also use more calories (even when you are not doing anything).

For your diet, make sure to write down the amount of foods you are allowed, and mark this off as you go during the day. It will help keep you on track, and ensure that you are getting the right mix of protein, carbohydrates and fats. (yes, fat is important also).

Weight loss generally starts off quickly with a huge amount of weight lost for most serious dieters. This will naturally taper off after a time, but you should still be able to lose about 2 lbs per week, which is about as fast as you want to go.

You should be eating a 1200 calorie diet. Lower than that is not healthy. To help you determine how much of what to eat, here is a link:

Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Tool

Just fill out your information, it will give you a pyramid with the number of servings you need daily from each food group. There is also a 4 page document you can print out with types of foods (and amounts per serving) in each food group.

And to help you with determining nutritional values for other things that are not on that list, here is another link that is free to use.

CalorieKing.com

You can look up almost anything, even name brands and some restaurant foods to see the calories, protein, carbs, type of fats, sugars and salt contained.

It is also important to keep sugars and salt under control. You are still young, but too much salt in your diet can keep you from losing the weight you want. Also, keep in mind that your fat intake is important in the right balance, and with the right type of fats. Fish and vegetable oils are what you need.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you VERY much. Your answer was extremely helpful. I am taking your advice and making some changes and we will see how things go!
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Good luck with your efforts, I know you can accomplish your goals. : )