Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Unexplained bruises. One on inner thigh - blotchy and purple-ish

Unexplained bruises. One on inner thigh - blotchy and purple-ish on the surface. One on palm of hand - small dot next to what looks like a vein. Also have been feeling a tingly feeling or dull pains in feet and legs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Have you had any bleeding gums?
Very heavy periods?
Fever or night sweats?
Weight loss (unexplained?)
Back pain?
Do you take any daily medications?

dr abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have you had any bleeding gums?
- No, unless I don't floss for a long time. Been trying to work on that :)

Very heavy periods?
- Yes, almost always. (Not severely heavy though.)

Fever or night sweats?
- No fever. Very rarely, maybe once or twice a year, I get a night sweat.

Weight loss (unexplained?)
- No, can't seem to lose weight. I love food. (I'm 5'6", 179lbs)

Back pain?
- Besides the spinal subluxations (Chiropractor x-rayed and showed me subluxation in lower-middle back), there seems to be a feeling between my shoulder blades and in middle back on occasion. Sort of like a stretching or tight/tingly feeling (nerves?).

Do you take any daily medications?
- No medications.

HIV is out of the question unless you have symptoms in 2 months.

I do have to add that lately I rarely exercise, and my choice of food isn't always the healthiest. I try to keep everything below the RDA levels though, if I do eat unhealthy stuff.

I also have Gall Bladder disease. But I'm not sure what this would have to do with the bruising/tingling. Just thought I should let you know.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information...

Unexplained bruising, in my experience, usually does not end up meaning anything serious. However, we do a workup for bruising, especially when the bruises occur in places that would not normally have them (such as the inner thigh).

Easy bruising is defined as 5 or more bruises that are 1 cm or larger.

The blood tests that are done include a complete blood count, PT/PTT. The PT/PTT are usually abnormal if someone has a bleeding disorder.
If your platelets are low or you have other abnormalities on your blood count, this would also need to be investigated further as the cause of your bruising.

You are not describing any symptoms that are worrisome for an underlying leukemia, if that is one of your concerns (ie no fever, weight loss, infections, night sweats).

The tingling in the feet/legs may be something that is completely unrelated. I do not think either are related to your gallbladder.

Tingling in the feet/legs can be due to many different things. Vitamin deficiencies (B12/folate), thyroid disease, diabetes, pinched nerves originating from the back are some of the causes.
If the tingling is frequent and persistent, I would check your blood sugar, vitamin B12/folate and your thyroid levels and also do an EMG/nerve conduction test. The EMG test looks to see if there is any dysfunction of the nerves of the legs and, if so, where it seems to originate from.

I hope this gives you some ideas as to what may be going on and what to do as part of the workup.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The last question I asked to a different doctor was about the jumpy/tingly feeling in my legs at night, which INCLUDES tingly feeling and some pain during the day. I have never seen a bruise like this. Actually, the bruise on my hand appeared and I immediately asked about it here, now it seems to have gone away. What does that mean?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
If it appeared suddenly and disappeared suddenly, it doesn't sound like it was a bruise.
Bruising takes several days to reabsorb back into your system...

I am not sure exactly what it was. But I do not think it was a true bruise.

If you have the jumpy feeling in the legs that goes away when you walk, you may have restless legs syndrome. If it occurs when walking as well, this essentially rules that out.

If it is restless legs syndrome, it can be treated with medications such as ropinirole or pramipexole.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States