Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Julia only. Hey Julia I was wondering I have been taking the

Julia only. Hey Julia I was wondering I have been taking the iron supplement 5 gram (325 mg) is that too much? You remember I had anemia, so I was wondering taking this every day for months harmful?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 2 years ago.

Hi Beth,

Good to hear from you!

Taking one iron supplement per day is not dangerous but you should have a periodic blood work to check your hemoglobin and iron levels. As long as you are having your periods and loosing blood (and, therefore, iron) that way, it is safe to take iron supplement but I would still do blood work at least every 6-12 months.

Hope all is well with you and your aunt. We have had really bad, hot and stormy weather here in Chicago for the whole month of July.

Julia

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Julia,

Good to talk to you. I was having heart palpatations on & off yesterday & I was wondering if that could be a sign of too much iron? My Dr. hasn't told me to come back for more blood work up they were doing it every 6 months. What is the recommended dosage of an iron supplement is the one I take the most or are there less? The pharmacist gave me that bottle so I have no idea. I also read that too much iron can cause Huntingtons disease is that true, & is that a fatal disease?

No, heart palpitations would not be caused by iron overload. Heart palpitations can be due to stress, anxiety, heat, dehydration, and actually anemia (low iron counts).

It sounds that you are taking Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg. Usually the dose of this specific iron supplement is one tablet three times daily but most people will have side effects like abdominal pain and constipation when they take it in such high dose.

When I was pregnant and was anemic, I took Slow-Fe which is a once-a-day iron formulation. It worked well for me without side effects.

The only way to tell if you still need iron pill or if you are taking too much is to do a blood test to check your hemoglobin and your iron levels. If its been more than a year since your last blood test, you definitely need one (as a part of your physical) but it can be checked every 6 months.

Iron cannot cause Huntington's disease. Huntington's disease is a genetic disorder which affects nerve cells. I do believe it is fatal disease.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is one link that says you can develop Huntington's disease from too much iron.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5542580_side-effects-taking-much-iron.html

Why does it say the recommended dosage is 100mg when that one is 325mg that seems like I am getting way too much & it scares me. I was taking a multi-vitamin, but decided to do just the iron pill now I wish I hadn't. I didn't know there were different dosages that is the one the pharmacist gave me. It says on the bottle only 1 pill a day I just looked.

It's been 9 months since my last blood test, I still had some anemia at that time, but it wasn't as bad then as it was 6 months prior to that.

Ok, give me a few minutes and I will read that article.

There are different iron formulations and different companies that make them so the dose depends on which brand of iron you purchase. There is no specific recommendation to take 100 mg daily so taking 325 mg daily is ok too, again, that just depends on who makes the iron.

Slow-Fe that I was taking was only 67 mg (I believe) so don't worry, 325 mg once daily is not a lot at all.

I usually do blood work on healthy young people like you once per year. I think you should get it once a year, for sure.

It is hard to overdose on iron. You really have to take a lot and not have any blood loss (which you do monthly), so don't worry about the iron.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
67 mg & 325 mg seems like a lot. It says that I should only take one that is 100mg anything over that can be dangerous. Out of 100 pills I have taken them all but 3. I don't mean to question you it just seems like that is a huge gape from 67 to 325. And now that I see that about the Huntingtons disease I am really worried. I have had that twitching the index finger going back & forth. The swallowing problems. I know they can be other things, but I have to wonder if this all started because of the iron pills. I don't eat a lot of red meat or vegatables a day. I know you get iron from those as well. My periods are about 4 days, but heavy only 2. If I stopped taking the iron pills after today would I have any side effects? I'd rather just go back to taking a multivitamin again.

This link is better than the last one I gave you about the HD & also the heart flutters. I had no idea about the flutters I just had them yesterday & was wondering why then I wondered about taking the iron

http://www.irondisorders.org/iron-overload

Beth, stop worrying :)

You don't have an iron overload and you do not have Huntington's. Iron does not cause Huntington's disease. Huntington's disease is a genetic disease that gets passed on from relatives. An overload from iron can accelerate its progression but it will not cause it.

The usual prescription dose of iron supplement is either 325 mg three times daily for someone with anemia or Slow-Fe 67 mg daily. The difference in dosing is huge because these iron pills are made by different manifacturers and have different components in them. I don't know of any iron supplement that comes in 100 mg dose.

I would not recommend that you stop your iron supplement just yet. I would recommend that you ask your doctor to check your blood counts first (including iron levels) and then decide on whether or not to stop iron. You can take multivitamin irrigardless of iron because you can get a multivitamin without iron in it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it hurt me to switch over from the iron pill to a multivitamin?

It depends if you are still anemic or not :)

See, if you are anemic, you need to continue taking iron and if you stop it, your iron counts and anemia will get worse. Multivitamin you can take in addition to iron, not instead. Just make sure when you are purchasing Multivitamin that it doesn't have iron.

Its not dangerous to switch from iron to multivitamin but one doesn't replace the other, they are used for different reasons. I hope this is not too confusing.

But to be certain you need a blood test. It is very possible that your iron levels have corrected themself and now you don't need an iron tablet at all but without checking I cannot know for certain. If you decide to get your iron levels and blood counts checked, make sure you also get a level of Ferritin checked which is a big indicator of iron-deficiency.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my aunt's nurse was here she listen to my heart she said it sounded okay, but also while she was here I started getting a little dizzy. I laid down & I started to spin, I have a couple times when I have got up. I have been having issues with my sinus always stuffy every night I wake up I can't breathe. Last night I got little sleep, & my sinus was so dry. I use that nose spray for 12 hour relief can that cause dizziness or the heart flutters? I took 1/2 of a Meclizine a few minutes ago. I have also been using saline nasal spray with that other.

It sounds that you are (or were) having Vertigo. Meclizine was the right thing to take for it. Drink lots of water.

The nose spray should not have caused your dizziness and the heart palpitations. That nose spray should be out of your system by now, it could have caused the dizziness/palpitations within an hour of taking it but by now, its not.

It sounds that you have chronic sinusitis which is chronic congestion in your sinuses. Usually this is due to some sort of environmental allergy (pollen, dust, mold, grass, etc). Typically we recommend using an anti-histamine (like Zyrtec or Allegra or Claritin) and nose spray, if that's not enough, Singulair (which is another medicine we use for chronic sinus drainage) can be added.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called the pharmacist the ingredient that he had me look for he said it can cause dizziness & heart flutters. He said of course to stop it, and just use the saline spray. On top of not sleeping I'm sure it all goes inro play plus the sinus pressure. He said most people there are no side effects, but there is some that can have the dizziness, nausea, flutters & some other things I forget. He said it should wear off by tomorrow. I am drinking lots of water so I hope that flushes it out, I don't like the vertigo it scares me, especially being alone with my aunt.

My aunt has been pretty good, knock on wood! Her BP has been excellent & her lungs have been clear the nurse said. No skin problems. She did have a reaction to a new bandaid it cause redness to the outline of it. Her nurse said the same thing happens to her, it was just a small bandaid so thank goodness it wasn't bigger, or you know me I would have been worried too death.

We have been having really humid weather also here in WV, it has been miserable, & very bad storms. We just got a new roof last year, because of the heavy snow from the prior winter. Now from all the storms this year some of the roof had to be repaired again this past weekend.

I hope you are feeling better. I would think that 12+ hours after using the spray, it should have been out of your symptoms and not cause those side effects but some people are very sensitive to medications and respond differently then most.

I am glad your aunt has been doing well. Again, you are doing such great job taking care of her and loving her.

Oh, no, the new roof got damaged? Here, in Chicago, it didn't get warm until July and the entire month of July it has been nothing but 90+ degree weather with severe thunderstorms. Never had a summer like this. Cannot wait for it to be over.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I have been feeling out of it all day since I took 1/2 of the meclizine. I was thinking about taking the other half before bed. I know if I wake up dizzy I will have to take it, it just makes me so out of it, tired. Well I had taken the nose spray about 6 hours prior & I was feeling off all morning. When the nurse was here she listen to my heart then I started feeling woosie. After she left my eyes felt like they were spinning when I tried to take a nap while she was sleeping. It happen a couple times, then I took 1/2 the pill. I hope this wears off soon. I haven't had the heart flutters anymore. I have only been using the nose spray the last 3 days & only the recommended dosage, so I don't know why it did that to me, when it hasn't in the past that I remember. I also have been using the saline spray right after so I don't know if the combo had a reaction in my system or not. I hate sinus problems it's always like I can't breathe in the humid summer then in the winter.

I like the fall myself, but we don't get much of one it seems hot til winter now. I love the fall leaves, football games & Halloween. I love to decorate for all the holidays, cause my aunt use to do it, so I do it for her. I think somehow she knows & if it brings her joy it makes me happy.

Well off to bed, I hope no more spinning!

Good morning Beth,

Hope your day started better today.

I am not convinced that vertigo was caused by the nose spray, especially since you used it before without any problems. Although nose spray can cause dizziness, it should not cause vertigo. Vertigo and dizziness are slightly different in its pathophysiology. It sounds that you got vertigo because of your sinus problems. Whenever your sinuses act up, it causes build up of "junk" in your ears as well and that's what most likely caused vertigo. Meclizine can definitely make you feel loopy and sleepy. I usually don't even recommend taking it during the day (just at bedtime) to avoid that feeling. Glad to hear your heart flutters didn't come back (now, that could have been caused by the spray).

I love holiday decorations but I am too tired to do it myself so I enjoy looking at other peoples' homes :)

Talk soon.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss