Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Are arthritis and degenerative disc desease the same condi

Are arthritis and degenerative disc desease the same condition?
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Are you diagnosed for both the conditions?
Since how long you have the symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have been diagnosed with both in the cervical and lumbar spine.

In addition I also have herniated and bulging disks (cervial and lumbar) for about 10 years.

Yes,arthritis & Degenerative disc disease are different from cause,pathology,treatment. Although they have a very common symptom of pain in joints, but they are not the same condition.Arthritis is a form of joint disorder that involves inflammation of one or more joints.But, there are many kinds of arthritis, each with different symptoms and treatments. Most types of arthritis are chronic.

Degenerative disc disease is not really a disease but a term used to describe the normal changes in your spinal discs as you age. Disc degeneration is a natural part of aging and over time all people will exhibit changes in their discs consistent with a greater or lesser degree of degeneration.But, not all people will develop symptoms. Both the conditions are treated accordingly.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the clear answer, I finally can get a a clear idea of what is happening to my spine.

Just one more question:

I've been diagnosed with "osteoarthritis". Rhematoid was ruled out. As I now understand it, OA will not improve but most likely will continue it's path of destuction on my joints as there is no cure?

The degenerating discs however have a chance of slowing down as this is "normal" in that it is part of the aging process?

Thank you,

Donna

Yes,you have got the point.Usually,degenerative disc disease is normal in changes in your spinal discs as you age.It can be successfully treated with conservative(meaning non-surgical) care consisting of medication to control inflammation and pain (either oral or injection), and physical therapy and exercise.Surgery may be required accordingly.

Also please don't forget to click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.Charles