Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Im a medical professinal and I recently had to an ER in the

I'm a medical professinal and I recently had to an ER in the health system I work in. The doctors and nurses I work would could easily have computer access to my chart and records. I know it is illegal for them to do so, but is there any way or anything to prevent them from doing so--as in, a guarantee they'd be caught? They tell us we are audited, but could that slip through?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
If you wanted to -- you could ask them to manually audit your chart itself.

They should be able to tell who looked at your chart, and for how long -- and determine if there were other people that were not in direct patient care looking through your computer records.

There is nothing that "prevents" them from looking at it, but you can get this reviewed if you want. (Unless you ask, it's doubtful that they will specifically look at your case.)