Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK
19472044

if an elderly person who has been known to have kiddney problems

if an elderly person who has been known to have kiddney problems has sowllen legs is there any treatment / med which could help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
If an elderly which is having a kidney problem previously and now have developed swelling or oedema of legs ,shows that his kidneys are not functioning properly.His body is retaining more fluids instead of excreting them .First of all he should go for a check of his renal function tests .Secondly,he might be advised Diuretics (drugs) which will help in getting rid of this extra water.
Hope it helped.
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we were told by my mother-in-laws doctor it would not be advisable. she was taken off all meds and was placed in hospice. we were told she had only days left. she inproved so much they had to take her off hospice and put in rehab. she was doing great and is to go home wed. now she has this water problem and they are not treating it? she has had conjestive heart failure before and my wife and I are concerned about her water retention
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
Oedema of legs can be due to liver ,heart or kidneys malfunction.It can also be a sign of congestive cardiac failure(CCF).
If doctors are not giving attention to oedema then you need to do the following measures at your own.
Reduce the amount of salt in your diet; for instance, don’t add salt during the cooking process and stop salting your meals at the table. Avoid foods like potato chips and salted peanuts. Be wary of processed foods such as manufactured meats, which tend to contain ‘hidden’ salt.
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) is thought to help in cases of mild fluid retention. Good sources of vitamin B6 include brown rice and red meat.
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), calcium and vitamin D help the body to excrete excess fluids. Include fresh fruits and low-fat dairy foods.
Cut back on dehydrating drinks such as tea, coffee and alcohol.
Cranberry juice has a mild diuretic action.
Lie her down with her legs higher than her head, when possible.
Exercise regularly.
Wear support stockings.

Hope it helped.
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.