Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

stomach..sore throat immediately after for a few weeks..family doctor

I got a stomach bug the end of April and then got a cough and congestions and sore throat immediately after for a few weeks. After going to my family doctor he gave me meds which finally cleared it up. Then I started having nausea quite a bit and feeling really full and tired. He sent me to a GI who did and endoscopy and found there was food still in my stomach from the day before. I had an empty scan done which proved I had gastroparesis, I have never had any other illness/problem therefore they are saying it is definitely post viral. I am hoping this doesn't last long?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today. Gastroparesis can be temporary due to certain medications a person takes or it could be chronic. The length of time yours last will depend strictly on the cause. Some things you can do is is to make sure you eat very slowly and you eat frequent meals more slowly. If eating whole foods are hard to digest, you can eat pureed foods instead (like soups). Also, going for a walk after eating can aid in digestion. Low fat foods will also help as well as making sure she does not eat hard to digest foods such as raw vegetables. If you tend to suffer greatly from spasms, the use of an antispasmodic will most likely greatly decrease the cramps associated with Gastroparesis. But again, there can be many causes of this and the duration is based on the cause.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been tested for everything under the sun and everything comes back great and normal and they can't find any underlying problems that could be causing it and especially since my symptoms started RIGHT after my virus. I am young, healthy and I am eating small low fat meals and walking hoping to beat this and start the healing process from this. My GI says he is fairly sure I will recover from this considering the situation, my OBGYN (who tested my hormone levels and many other things) says he is confident that it was viral and will go away with time. Have you heard of it going away on its own?

Well, sometimes the cause is not known but it usually linked back to the Vagus nerve (and damage to it) - yours could have been irritated from your stomach bug and yes, it could prove to be temporary. The most important thing is to make sure you get plenty of nutrition and do not stop eating because you are having pain and discomfort. Malnutrition often occurs in patients with Gastroparesis, so make sure you eat or tell your Dr that you feel you are not getting enough food so that he/she can order a consult with a Dietician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been tested for everything under the sun and have never had any of the symptoms prior to the virus I had. My GI doctor knows I came in to see him right after the virus and don't have any other conditions. I am eating small, lowfat healthy meals and walking to help recover. My OBGYN (who says he sees this a lot and that it will resolve) tested my hormone levels and other things that are fine as well. He is pretty certain this will run its course and I can recover.Have you seen people recover from this?
It appears your question posted twice. I will not answer again to prevent a second accidental accept.