DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

hump on the back of my neck near the shoulder blades (..ultrasound

Please help me! I noticed about a month ago a hump on the back of my neck near the shoulder blades (like a buffalo hump). My doctor sent me for an ultrasound and x-ray. Both came back negative. She sent me to an endrocronologist and he tested my cortisol levels (blood and 24 hour urine) and those came back fine. I went back to my doctor and she said it is just a fatty tumor. I had gained some weight due to my thyroid and probably antidepressants as well, but I am not fat. I am 5'9" and weigh 185. She said when I gained the weight, it chose to settle on the back of my neck. Well, I have not gained weight in 6 months and I only noticed it a month ago. It is impeding my neck function. She said I just had to live with it. I asked for a referral and she argued that I did not need a referral because no surgeon will biopsy it or remove it. She finally DID refer me to a general surgeon whom I just found out is on vacation for 2 weeks, which she knew! I have called her office back and requested another referral to a doctor not on vacation. I don't know if I will hear back from her or not.
Do I have to live with this? I diet and exercise but can't lose weight probably from my medications. I have been crying because the hump is so ugly and I can't move my neck around comfortably.
I have hashimoto's and take 112mcg of levoxyl. I also take pristiq and paxil for my panic disorder. Please help!
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
hello
you don't have to live with it but it is not an emergency
it is benign
lipoma
they do not have to be removed
but they can be removed
so you can wait for the surgeon.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please click accept to give answer credit and compensation. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.