Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have a facial rash that appeared around the same time as

I have a facial rash that appeared around the same time as I lost a tampon for 3 days. That was 6 weeks ago. I did speak to my doctor about this after I had removed the tampon and was given an examination and a prescription for 2 antibiotics to clear any UTI/ Bacteria that could cause a problem. Also a swab was taken to make sure the antibiotics prescribed were sufficient to do the job and I haven't heard any news since. The rash was visable then but it hasn't cleared. I have had a simular reaction before a few years back when I went into a loft and I believed it to be a dust allergy. It lasted a long time before finally settling. I have fair skin. The rash is mostly small pin-prick bubbles on my forehead and larger bumps with pin prick centres round my jaw line and over the centre of cheeks and around the eye area. No rash on nose or chin. It feels prickly and itchy ( like prickle heat which I used to suffer from as a child) I feel okay mostly in well ventilated areas but if confined to a stuffy warm atmosphere my face starts to itch and appears blotchy. It also seems okay one day and then fiery the next. I think this is also about the heat/ dry atmosphere. I have been taking Piratin and am only using Double Base cream and gel to form a barrier. I have checked all the usual suspects! ( change of shampoo, shower gel, washing powder) My only change/ tryout since and it seems to help is Arnica Cream. Should I just ride it out as before or should I bother a doctor incase of TSS?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

Hello, I am sorry for the delay in replying. This does not sound like TSS which would cause a widespread rash and a number of serious symptoms. However I would still like you to see your GP or family doctor while the rash is active. A rash that affects parts of the face while sparing other parts could be related to an auto-immune condition (although the description of bubbles and bumps is less in keeping with this) and some simple blood tests at this time may be useful.

Pauline :

However it may simply be a viral infection (although again the length of time is unusual) and finally you need to rule out other possible causes such as allergy to cosmetics/soap or even a photosensitive reaction.

Pauline :

Do you take any medication apart from Piriton?

no I don't take any other medication.