A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My son was taking cetirzine 10mg by Perrigo Pharmacutical for

Customer Question

My son was taking cetirzine 10mg by Perrigo Pharmacutical for several years and had done well. A week ago he was switched to another pharmacutical manufacturer: Pack. He took the new generic for 4 days and he was crying for no reason, acting irrationally, having mood swings. Have you heard of this happening with different manufacturers
Submitted: 5 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
Although all of the inactive ingredients are approved by the FDA for use in medications, the increased number of coloring agents and fillers in the generic medications may slightly increase the risk of allergic side effects.You should go back to your brand with which kid was symptom free.
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already knew this information. What I am wondering is if there is something specific by the Pack Pharmacutical that could be causing the issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I would like to know what would be in the Pack Pharmacutical Cetirizine that may be causing the irritability, mood swings, uncontrolable crying, when the Perrigo Cetirizine did not cause these side effects.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. There is nothing wrong with the answer quality. There is nothing in one cetirizine that isn't in the other except different FDA-approved fillers and dyes. They would not be FDA-approved if they caused such side effects. Both Pack and Perrigo are makers of generic drugs and both have excellent reputations.

If your son's pediatrician believes he is having an allergic reaction to one of the fillersor dyes, then the simple answer is going back to the one that doesn't cause the problem. However, that isn't a likely scenario and the pedicatrician needs to be looking for what is really causing the symptoms he is having. While an allergic reaction isn't likely, you can never account for what one individual out of 25 million might be allergic to.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you please supply the fillers and dyes from Perrigo and then the fillers and dyes from Pack.

No problem. Here they are:

Pack Pharmaceuticals inert ingredients for generic cetirizine: hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, maize starch, polyethylene glycol, povidone, titanium dioxide.

Perigo Pharmaceuticals inert ingredients for generic cetirizine: cornstarch, polyethylene glycol, FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090), hypromellose, lactose (milk), magnesium stearate, polydextrose, polyethylene glycol, povidone, titanium dioxide, triacetin