Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

more pronounced sore throat and eye irritation ( red eyes..face

Hi again,
I would like your input on a condition I have had for 3 to 4 weeks, it started with a sore throat and quickly turned into a more pronounced sore throat and eye irritation ( red eyes and burning red eye lids) upon waking in the mornings my eye lids would be stuck shut and require a wet face cloth to unstick them, my voice was weak and raspy. I visited a GP and was told after a quick look in my throat was told that it was a virus and that after around at he 10 day mark it should have run its coarse. 10 days turned into 15 and then 20 and the eye irritation cleared up, the throat cleared somewhat. Flem started to form and was and is particularly a problem at night, interfering with sleep. coughing is intermittent and mostly related to the flem buildup. my appetite is poor and I feel drained and lethargic most of the time. body aches and head aches are common though i have arthritis and see that regularly. I am contacting you because I suspect there is more than a common virus. thanks for your time,

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Do, or did you also have fever and swollen lymph glands in your neck with this infection?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no fever or lymph swelling
Did the doctor do any tests to determine the cause of sore throat (blood tests, or a throat swab)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no tests at all, seemed convinced it is a virus

From the description of your symptoms, especially the length of time that it has taken for the illness to resolve, and the ongoing fatigue and other lingering symptoms....

it is possible that you have a viral infection caused by EBV (which causes mononucleosis) or CMV. These viruses typically cause a prolonged lingering type of viral syndrome. Also, though not typical, both can cause a conjunctivitis (your eye symptoms). The symptoms are widely variable though, so it would be impossible to say for sure, without some blood tests being done.

Mononucleosis will usually clear on its own, taking several months sometimes for you to feel well again. The symptoms from CMV (cytomegalovirus) will usually clear also, but CMV stays with you, and you will run the risk of reactivation at a later date when your immune system is compromised because of another illness, or medications perhaps.

So, because you are still having symptoms, I think it is worth your time to see your doctor again and have some tests done to see if either of these is a possibility. There are complications that can develop for either type of infection in some people.

Here are some links for more information about these two infections:

Also, there is a possibility that you may have had strep throat. Normally (at least in the U.S.) when a patient sees a doctor for a sore throat, a throat swab is done to rule out a streptococcus infection (strep throat), since untreated it can also lead to complications.