Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Hello My GP was made aware through my psychiatrists report

Hello

My GP was made aware through my psychiatrist's report that there was no evidence to support the psychiatrist's diagnosis.

Despite a complaint about the diagnosis on two occasions, I was not made aware of this and the report was never questioned.

Is this right?
Can you retype your question? I am not entirely clear.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went through a 6 month assessment for schizophrenia with a psychiatrist.

At the end of the assessment, the psychiatrist diagnosed me with having schizophrenia, but his evaluation/diagnostic report shows no evidence of diagnostic criteria symptoms to support his diagnosis of schizophrenia.

This report was sent to my GP and an electronic entry of schizophrenia was made on my file.

I complained about the diagnosis on two occassions, but despite this my GP never questioned the psychiatrist's report or made me aware that there was discrepancy in the diagnosis made because the report showed no evidence of diagnostic criteria symptoms.

My GP is trained in initially diagnosing schizophrenia based on history, symptoms and evaluation. Therefore, if the psychiatrist's report does not show any diagnostic criteria symptoms to support his diagnosis then surely my GP should have recognised this and questioned the report etc.?
Well, the GPs can recognise the very basic signs of mental illnesses, but understanding the nuances is the expertise of the psychiatrist. Usually, they will NOT contract what a specialist says. In any field.
If you feel that you do not have schizophrenia, then your best bet is to get a second opinion by another psychiatrist. If they feel that you do not have schizophrenia, then they can make a recommendation to remove it from you file.

warm regards

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON for every answer that you find helpful. It you need more clarification, just ask. It allows me to help people like you Laughing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But don't you recognise any discrepancy here?

In order to diagnose schizophrenia it is important that I meet the diagnostic criteria. If my symptoms do not match the diagnostic criteria then the psychiatrist CANNOT diagnose schizophrenia and my GP should know this. So why was I not made aware of this and the psychiatrist's report questioned?
I understand the discrepancy, but the GP is not going to counter a psychiatrists report no matter if they feel you have fufilled criteria or not. If a psychiatrist tells me that someone is bipolar (I am an ER doctor), I am not going to counter the report.
Because they did 4 years of training in this subject. A GP has had a month's worth of training.
So, they are not going to question it or let you know. It will be filed as a diagnosis.

I am sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear. But I am telling you how it works, whether it is fair or not.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, I do not believe you are being honest with me as I have already been told by three doctors that the psychisatrist's diagnosis is incorrect because there is no evidence to support it --- and for that reason I cannot ACCEPT your answer.
Okay. Lets think about this.
Why would be dishonest with you?
Which other doctors think that the psychiatrists report is incorrect? Are they psychiatrists?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Conflict of interest - I have previous experience of this on this website.

I have been told by a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a medical doctor.

I have also put in a letter of complaint to the hospital asking the following question;

1. How was the diagnosis reached?

However, this question was not answered. I subsequently sent an additional four letters to the hospital asking that my outstanding question above is answered, but despite these letters I still have not recieved an answer - and it's been 4 months now?
Why don't you talk to the original psychiatrist who wrote this in your chart?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I note you have not responded to what I have written in my previous post.

I have requested a Local Resolution Meeting to talk to the psychiatrist and Associate Clinical Director about the diagnosis made and "how it was reached". However, the hospital have not responded to my request?
If you have not received a response, then you need to talk to the hospital ombudsman- this is the patient advocate. Otherwise you can seek legal action.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you beginning to realise now that the diagnosis is wrong and that my GP should have questioned it and made me aware?
Sure. I can understand your concern.
I would be upset too

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You still have not answered my original question

Honestly, should my GP have made me aware of the discrepancy and questioned the report?
If this was my GP, I would be pretty mad if they didn't ask me what is going on, at the very least. They may or may not question a report- I am not sure what the reputation is of the psychiatrist, but they should have told you. And even considered getting you evaluated by someone else, just to be safe.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you retype that please I don't quite understand?
Sure
I agree with you. If this was my GP, I would be angry that he/she didn't tell me that they got an unusual report from a psychiatrist.

Now if the psychiatrist as a sterling reputation, the GP may or may not question the validity of the report.
But if they knew you quite well, they probably should have gotten a second opinion...