CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

In August 2009 I had a sudden ocurrence of severe external

In August 2009 I had a sudden ocurrence of severe external hemorrhoids due to extremely strenous exercise (squatting with weight on shoulders, leg lifts against resistence). I had been doing the heavy exercises for over a year and had often experiened rectal spasms after the exercise. This time a large lump appeared on the right side of my anus. After months I was able to get the swelling to go down but ever since I have continued to experience pain on the right side of my anal area, with any lifting, sitting or walking. Even laying down on my right side causes pain after 10-15 minutes. It starts as a throbbing pain, and then turns into severe burning (like I am sitting in hot water!)and itching. And the burning and itch feels like it is coming from inside, not due to external irritation, like from wiping too hard, constipation, not keeping the area clean etc. I have been examined by a physician and told the exam is normal. i have tried cortizone ointments, lidocaine and even glyceril trinitrate and none have worked. In fact I think they have caused me further irritation. Is it possible that somehow I have developed a problem with the veins or nerves in the anal area such that any pressure from sitting, standing, walking or lifting aggravates it? Usually in the morning, when I first get up I feel almost like my old self. Then as I sit, or try to become active I begin to experience pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Yes, it is possible. Hemorrhoids are veins that have become engorged with blood, often due to straining as with heavy weight. In many cases, the engorgement will resolve in time, however in some cases surgery may be required. My recommendation to you is to see a Colo-rectal Doctor who specializes in the treatment of hemorrhoids so that you can receive the treatment you need to resolve this pain and discomfort you have been struggling with for so long.

CamilleRN :

I also want to add that you may have internal hemorrhoids as well.

Customer:

Thank you. Unfortunately, i did see a specialist at the cleveland clinic and I doubt very much he believed me. He only gave me literature on the importance of a high fiber diet and keeping area free of irritation. I was hoping he would suggest other testing such as an MRI or ultrasound. And the exam itself flared up my problem.

CamilleRN :

Sometimes one Doctor may overlook something another Doctor will detect...

CamilleRN :

There are other possibilities

CamilleRN :

do you have rectal bleeding?

Customer:

no bleeding. and I try to stay regular so no hard movements

CamilleRN :

There are nerves that originate in the spine that can cause a feeling of fullness and pain in the rectum

CamilleRN :

this can be the cause, if there is no evidence of hemorrhoids

Customer:

Thanks. I will hit the accept button next. I appreciate your help.