DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

I had my thyroid removed in Nov 2003 and have been on Levoxyl

I had my thyroid removed in Nov 2003 and have been on Levoxyl 112 dose since then. I have felt fine and my energy level is good. My TSH is always "in normal range" when tested. Most recently my level was .77 8 months ago and this week is .56 My weight has increased in the last several years. I am 57 years old.

I am wondering if this TSH level which I understand to be at the very edge of the "normal" range is impacting my weight gain. I've gained about 5 pounds a year for the last 4 years. Should my Levoxyl does be changed? Dr is indicated no since in normal range. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
no your TSH is on the low side which means you are more hyperthyroid than low thyroid, but still normal.
TSH goes down with more thyroid hormone in the system and goes up with less.
your thyroid based on this has nothing to do with your weight gain which is much more likely a function of aging and menopause.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please click accept to give answer credit and compensation. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.