Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

my gall bladder is not functioning properly according..stones

I was told by my gastroenterologist that my gall blader is not functioning properly according to some ttests thet did on me and that i should have it removed even though i dont have any stones or pain ((only once) i need a second.opinion.
Greetings.

An HIDA scan is done to assess the functions of the gall bladder. If it shows less than 30% of the functions of the gall bladder; it is termed poorly functioning gall bladder. If it shows no functions of the gall bladder, it is called non functioning gall bladder. Both of these conditions warrant a removal of the gall bladder. Especially if there is abdominal cramps, bloating, gas, indigestion, nausea/vomiting accompanied or have bouts of these symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont have nausea vomiting or pain; I do have some ocasional bloating but I am afraid that the side effects might be worse than just bloatig for example crhonic diarrea and or pain and how about colon cancer. I would like ro know if i am going to be able to eat everything that I eat now. I was ready for the surgery but yesterday my sister in law who is a doctor told me that i should get a second opinion because she sees a lot of people that has problems of diarrea and pain after having the gall blader removed. I suffer of differnt stomach problems like heart burn aand the doctor found polyps in my colon and removed them and I am afraid having my gall blader removed will magnified them.please advise.

Let me first clear about the internet resources, which do not give the right perspective. As only those people post, who have certain post operative complications. People who are normal are likely not to post at the general forums.

Now coming to pros and cons of removal of gall bladder. This is singularly dependent on one factor; on one side would be severity of your present symptoms and on other side would be risk of post op complications (1-2%), which you had mentioned. So you would be the best judge; if symptoms are severe and significant enough; you may go ahead with the surgery, as the incidence and risk of complications is very low.

Dr. Arun