Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

my sternum area, as well as a burning pain in my ribs

So sincelastnight I've had his pain in my sternum area, as well as a burning pain in my back. It also hurts in my ribs, and I touch the areas where it hurts, it starts to hurt even more. The areas feel very sore. I've had ekgs, an ECG, chest x-rays, and all been good. Anyideas what this could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

This is called as myofascial pain syndromes. Myofascial trigger points are hyperirritable tender spots in palpable tense bands of skeletal muscle that refer pain. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you don't think it's anything serious

With your cardiac work up coming normal; this is unlikely to be anything serious.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had one more question. I was having some calf cramping in my left calf, I'm sure u know I have a fear of them. The cramping has gone away but Today I started getting a little tingly feelings on the outer side of my left calf. What cooed this be?

A tingly feeling do occur as a lingering feeling after cramping. It can be also due to vitamin B12 deficiency or pinched nerves in back. But certainly it is not due to deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ThNk you. Also the cramp I had was coming and going for a week. Like I said today it was gone, if it was a dvt, would the symptoms have gotten progressively worse?
You are welcome.

Yes, if it was DVT, the symptoms would have been progressively worse.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So do you think I should worry about dvt
No, you should not.