Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I am pretty sure I have a sinus infection. I have had several

I am pretty sure I have a sinus infection. I have had several in the past. My one side of my face really hurts. I took one tylenol at 8:00, but it did not completely get rid of the pain, so I took another tylenol at 10:00. I then when to sleep at 11:30. Something woke me. I woke up and am in enough pain that I cannot fall asleep, so I took one more tylenol at 1:20 A.M. I am allergic to aspirin/ibrophen. What can I do to help with the pain until the morning when I can call my doctor? In the morning should I call my PCP, or ENT?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry you are not feeling well,

What is the strength of the tylenol you are taking?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ty! It is Walgrenns 500mg
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you.

As you may know, the current recommended maximum amount of tylenol is 4000 mg in 24 hours (but is about to change to 3000 mg).

As of now, you have taken 1500 mg...you can take another tylenol now if needed. You simply have to make sure you do not go above 3000 mg total for the next 24 hours.

If you have a nasal decongestant spray (such as Afrin) you can use one spray in each nostril to help open things up.

Steam inhalation and/or applying a warm compress to the side of the face where you are feeling pain should also help a bit.

In the morning, your GP should be able to treat the sinus infection. When you get up, take a decongestant. I would not take one now as it can cause difficulty sleeping.

I hope that you feel better.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In addition to the 1500mg I have taken of Tylenol, I have taken 650 mg of aspirin yesterday morning at 11AM. I am undergoing aspirin desentization. I have Samter's Triad (asthma/nasalpolyps/asprin sensitivity. Does that factor in?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
No, it doesn't factor in to the tylenol dosing, if that is what you are questioning.

This could be the cause of your sinus symptoms, which you probably already know..
If you have more of a chronic sinusitis which is typical of Samter's triad, an ENT may be better to see for your treatment in the morning.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ty!