Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

sore that just happened to pop up after I brushed my teeth

I'm needing to ask a question concerning a sore that just happened to pop up after I brushed my teeth. I've never had this kind of sore before. It's swollen up and looks like a leech almost. I thought I was bleeding at first because the color of it is like blood. I have a picture of it. I uploaded it on my Photobucket account. Here is the link for it.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm10/holagirl07/photo.jpg

How long are you having the symptoms?

Did it start after brushing or was present before?

Do you take any medicine?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It just happened tonight after I brushed my teeth. Right now, I am finishing up taking penicillin. I just had strep throat last week, but no other illness. What would you say that is? Could it be something serious?

Thank you for the information,

From your picture it appears to be a blood clot.

Whether there is an injury underneath is not apparent.

The throat as a whole appears congested.

Though it can appear different in picture than visual.

There can be an injury to the already congested mucosa which is vulnerable from inflammation.

Usually it will absorb slowly.

If the bleeding increases, you need to get it checked by doctor urgently.

Otherwise you can consult your doctor in the morning.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you wouldn't say this is life threatening would you? It's not bleeding.. It's just swollen up.
At this stage it is not threatening.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I go to the doctor, what good will that do though?
If you go to doctor they will examine to find the source of bleeding.

Doctor can advise a few tests depending on clinical findings.

If you find my answer helpful, please press the accept button so that I can be compensated for my time & work.

Best of health.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was needing to find out why I have been urinating so much these past couple of months. Just recently, I got to the point where I decided to go to the doctor for it and see if it was diabetes because I was peeing so often! Turns out, I do not have diabetes. And I don't even drink that much either. Also, I am not preggo, like I said this has been going on since this summer and it will not stop it seems. Feels like I have to pee all the time, but when I do go and try to pee, I don't even pee that much. I mean what is going on with this? It is starting to worry me, but I don't know what it would be? If it was a UTI, wouldn't I have pain while I was urinating? I am not having any type of pain while I am peeing. If you can, please ease my mind on this and tell me what you may think it is...Thanks!
What tests did you have at doctor's office?

Did you have blood, urine tests or others?

Is the frequency same always, both day & night?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was just a urine test for diabetes and urine test for preggo. Plus, I have taken preggo tests at home just this week as well all negative. Haven't done any tests though for UTI. What do you think it is?

Thank you for the information.

There can be a few causes for the need to urinate frequently.

It can be due to an infection or inflammation.

Urine infection can be present without burning or pain.

Diabetes is another cause but you had tests for it.

It can also occur with anxiety, stress, excess intake of fluid, tea, coffee.

Other causes can be overactive bladder, kidney disease

I would advise to have an examination by doctor again & take tests for urine infection.

Urine infection is a common cause.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, so you think most likely, it is just a UTI?

Infection & diabetes are two common causes.

Diabetes has been ruled out.

So you should take tests for UTI.

Also try to avoid anxiety, stress, caffeine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have been stressed out a lot this semester and just got through with finals. So, hopefully, after I get some rest tonight and all, it will help with this stuff. Also, since I haven't had anything done for it and it could be a UTI, could it have spread anywhere else and gotten worse like made things more serious? Because like I said, this has been going on for months Dr. Saha!

When you do not have pain in other areas or fever, or other symptoms like blood in urine, it does not seem to have spread.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, thank you for your quick response and time Dr. Saha. I will go to doctor soon to get it checked on. Hopefully, everything will be fine. Also, if I do have a UTI will they just give me antibiotics and that is it? Going to accept your answer after this.. again thanks! :)
UTI is curable.

If an infection is detected, doctor will prescribe antibiotic.

You need to take the full course as prescribed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Saha,
I just talked to you last night about possibly having a UTI, well I think I might have strep. If it is that. I just want to know would being passionate with my fiance by sucking on his genital area give me strep? I have gotten strep pretty often this year and I've never gotten it this bad. Also, I am attaching a picture for you to see of it. It is just swollen up on one side. I have felt very tired all day, plus.. when I was on antibiotics, I did finish them out. If you can, please help me with this.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Yes, I remember.

From the picture, it seems there is throat infection.

If there is no artifact in the photo, then there is a pus pocket in tonsil.

Strep infection is not common from sucking.

You should take a throat swab test from your doctor.

Antibiotic then can be prescribed accordingly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I am pretty sure it is strep! I am going to go by doctor sometime this week if it doesn't get better. I have gotten it two times in 6 months Dr. Saha. I just don't know why I keep getting re-infected.. I mean what is causing it?! Also, I do have a cat that lives in indoors with my fiance and I. I was doing some research tnite and found out that cats can harbor streptococcous. I don't know if it is the same strain that humans get or what, but I never did know that. And see I am starting to think it is that, because like I said I have never ever had strep this much. I have had mononucleosis in the past though. Also, what were you saying about the pus pocket and the artifact? I didn't understand what you were trying to say, so if you can please just clarify.
You can see yellowish white colored spot at the upper part of the tonsil.

It can be a collection of pus from infection or a pocket of pus.

By artifact, I wanted to mean sometimes due to reflection of light there can be similar appearance in photo.

Strep is a not a common disease from cat.

Common diseases which are transmitted by cat are cat scratch disease, salmonella, some parasitic & fungal infections.

You should try to avoid contact with people whom you suspect to have upper respiratory infection.

Strep often spreads by coughing, droplets from upper respiratory secretions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, that clears my mind about our pet then. Phew! Anyways, would removing my tonsils make any difference with me getting sick all the time because I feel that is the only other thing that I can come up with? Sorry for so many questions, but I shouldn't be getting strep this much and I haven't been around any sick people that I know of. Can the bacteria just stay in your tonsils, like somehow pocket themselves in? Because I am serious Dr. Saha, if I do have it again this time, it will be the third time within less than a year.
Though there is indication for tonsillectomy in repeated infections, you should get an examination by an ENT specialist.

It is usually done when adequate medical treatment fails.