Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have multiple sores on my penis and two light ones starting

I have multiple sores on my penis and two light ones starting to form on my lip. Can it be herpes and if so is it possible to have both types i'n mouth and genitals????
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Is this the first time you have had these sores?
Are they painful?
Are the mouth sores on the lips or inside the mouth?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not painful , just have slight burning sensation i'n penis. The sores i'n the mouth are on the lips.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

Yes, this could be a Herpes infection but it is unusual to have a simultaneous outbreak in both the genital and oral area.

There are two types of the herpes virus, as you may know. Type 1 can infect both the genital and oral area while type 2 usually only infects the genital area.

If you have a history of cold sores, you may simply be having a recurrent outbreak along with a new outbreak of type 2 if you were recently exposed to the type 2 virus.

Another disease, called Behcet's, can cause sores in the mouth and genital area. This is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the blood vessels and is very rare.

I would have your doctor examine the sores and test them for herpes. If you do have herpes, there are medications that can lessen the length of time of the outbreak as well as lessen the chance of spread to a partner (ie Valtrex).

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!