Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

My son is 3.5 year old and 31 lbs

My son is 3.5 year old and 31 lbs. He is very active and can get hyper. We are planning a long flight (14 hours) out of the US to S. Korea. I'm thinking about giving him Benadryl. Is there a better alternative? And what is the recommended dosing for Benedryl/alternative for this type of use? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 5 years ago.

It is more customary to give a child Phenargan (promethazine - a anti-histaminic) while flying. The dose is 12.5 to 25 mg Phenergan by the oral route or by rectal suppository at bedtime will provide sedation in children.

In case of Benadryl, the dose is 12.5 mg (5ml) every 6 - 8 hours.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.