DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I have lost 35 lbs, am now extremely fatigued, my joints ache

Customer Question

I have lost 35 lbs, am now extremely fatigued, my joints ache so much I can barely type or move. The worst are my hands and knees. My body aches like I have a fever but I don't. All of this has been going on for I think about 5 maybe 6 months (starting with the weight loss then progressing into further symptoms). my orthostatic hypotension is getting worse and i have fainted. my brain feels like it is in a constant blurr and I'm extremely frustrated because I don't have any answers.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
hello
why an endocrinologist?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He did a blood draw fasting results were 36 at 8am; repeated at 8am not fasting and it was the same
fasting for what lab//
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
blood cortisol level
Ok
this is slightly high
but does not mean you have high cortisol
the endocrinologist will order a 24 hour urine collection for free cortisol which will show if you might have cushings..too much cortisol secretion.
This can cause fatigue and aches and pains but causes weight gain usually.

your doctors should also order a sed rate and an ANA panel because this also sounds like the beginning of autoimmune disease possibility...such as lupus ....but if the joint are not swollen, then other possibilities.

Go with the endocrinologist and make sure that thyroid studies are checked, even if they were checked before.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have hypothyroidism and recently had blood levels checked and had to increase my dosage of synthroid.

I have had a 24 hour collection of urine for cortisol levels the levels of cortisol were 160 ug I can't remember what the AHA levels were but I do have them on a print out.

Is there any thing I can do at this point besides wait? I am going back to my primary care position Wednesday because it takes over an hour for me to get out of bed, not due to motivational issues, but because I am so fatigued. I am in so much pain with the joints etc that I almost can't move and there were at least 2 days I didn't know if I was going to make it to work. And the others I could barely function both physically and mentally.

Obviously I could take time off, but tylenol, and the over the counter pain relievers, even prescription naproxen that my dr had given me with hand joint pain before (that eventually went away). Is there anything besides that which I just don't take because it's not helping or ice or heat that have minimal help. I'm racking my brain. & I have plenty of rubs and creams...nothing. Just I guess looking for a miracle. Hoping the pain isn't this bad until the 17th but if you have any suggestions...as I said anything. i have tried various types of massage. I'm open to about anything that isn't illegal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm not sure the expert is looking at my last comment
hello
i only received your post now

TSH should be about .8 for most people...so you can check on this
many docs think 2 is adequate but might be too high, hypothyroid
so find out what the target is
ANA panel and sed rate could be done now
for pain
NSAIDS are fine but once again rheumatology might need to get involved here
I would eat an anti-inflammatory diet...see Eat to live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
Add fish oil...3 grams daily
add turmeric and ginger to the daily regimen..anti-inflammatory
Check vitamin D levels
Take magnesium.
walking and sunlight daily.

good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I know what levels of TSH should be, have been working with it. I appreciate the informationa about the book. I just had a second doctor run a TSH level. & he is an endocrinologist, not the one what normally runs my TSH. I'll see what the results of that since it was taken last week.

At this point, I really cant take short walks because of the pain. Even when I walk for a bit the synovial fluid does not seem to help get things moving and feel better. I do take magnesium to help prevent migraines.

& I know taking NSAIDs for a long period of time is not good for you either. Interestingly enought I did recently purchase ginger at the grocery store. Again thanks for the information on the book.
you are welcome
anytime
dt
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Had something new happen today. I rested all day yesterday. Took today off as well. The pain in my muscles and joints lessened for a few hours; my exhaustion was increased. It was nice to have a slight reprieve from the pain though. does this make sense? & no I haven't had a chance to get the book yet.
chronic fatigue syndrome is something that is eventually going to need to be considered if nothing else turns up
as well as fibromyalgia.
but first these other problems need to be considered.