Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have had a pins and needles type feeling in my right thumb

I have had a "pins and needles" type feeling in my right thumb for almost a week now. I write seven page reports for every patient I have and have had an excessive amt of patients the past two weeks. I don't know if it's due to this (because I've always written a lot), or other reasons--but honestly it is making me nervous because it isn't going away and it still lingers on the wknd. I am worried why this is happening, if it involving nerves, how I can stop it, and just hope it is nothing very serious neurologically or circulation-related. Can you please help me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

Is it just your thumb?

Customer:

yes right thumb

Dr B :

Do you have normal color in your thumb?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

its felt like this for about six days now

Dr B :

Okay, if you squeeze on the end of your thumb tightly for 5 seconds and release it, hoe long does it take for the color to come back?

Customer:

not long at all

Customer:

maybe 3 seconds

Dr B :

How many seconds?

Dr B :

Please count exactly

Customer:

no more than three i dont think

Dr B :

Okay, this may be due to a compressed or irritated nerve

Customer:

hmm ok what do I do about it?

Dr B :

You would need to have it examined, and likely need an EMG to determine where the nerve is being irritated

Customer:

do I go to a general doctor or someone special?

Dr B :

You should go to a hand specialist

Customer:

hmm ok any ideas about finding one? what is their title exactly?

Dr B :

Just google hand surgeon and put in your zip code

Customer:

ok will do! do you think its something serious?

Dr B :

I don't think it is serious

Dr B :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

im just nervous because I write a lot for my job and have to do it, and this makes me worried because it's never happened before

Dr B :

I understand, but there is little you can do until it is examined

Customer:

ok I will call a place tomorrow thank you

Dr B :

You're welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience