Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

How long do I have to wait after having unprotected sex to

How long do I have to wait after having unprotected sex to get an STD test?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 2 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

r u there?

Nurse Milli :

yes

Nurse Milli :

there are varying times of incubation with STD's...from a few days to 6 months

Nurse Milli :

is there one in particular you are worried about or are you asking just in general

Customer:

but with ghonorrea and chlam?

Nurse Milli :

The incubation period for these are about 2-6 weeks

Nurse Milli :

(generally speaking)

Nurse Milli :

some say 1-3 weeks

Customer:

so if I get tested 4-5 days after contact, it would not be accurate?

Nurse Milli :

No, I would wait if possible...

Nurse Milli :

your results would be more accurate

Customer:

and if were to take antibiotics before this period, is there still a chance an infection could develop?

Nurse Milli :

Yes, it is possible. Your Dr could give you the appropriate antibiotics for these.

Nurse Milli :

I meant, yes, it is possible to stop the infection if you take antibiotics before a possible infection starts.

Customer:

right I meant is it possible for a Dr to prescribe the meds precautionary

Customer:

ah, i see

Nurse Milli :

Female rape victims are given prophylatic antibiotics for this very reason

Nurse Milli :

(just an example)

Nurse Milli :

(actually male or female rape victims)

Customer:

so if i were to take the necessary antibiotics 3-4 days after contact, the infection would not develop..

Nurse Milli :

well, it will certainly decrease the chances of you getting an infection but this practice is certainly not a good idea...best thing to do is to use protection and not have sex with someone whom you know how a STD. Bottomline, you will need a prescription for antibiotics for these STD's and I don't know of any Physician who would give prophylactic antibiotics in this type of case.

Nurse Milli :

I realize that knowing someone's STD status is not public knowledge, but using protection every time you have sexual intercourse is key.

Nurse Milli :

not preaching, just educating :)

Customer:

I understand..

Nurse Milli :

(or giving my own opinion, I guess)

Nurse Milli :

--you may already know some of this

Customer:

and i actually follow that practice.. until friday night that is

Nurse Milli :

I see

Customer:

I think thats why I came here and I'm very worked up about it

Nurse Milli :

well, your best bet is to not do it again and see your Dr in a few weeks and get a complete STD testing done

Customer:

I've actually been in a monogomous relationship for a couple months now, and I had a lapse of judgment (alcohol involved) and had contact with a female unprotected

Nurse Milli :

(and certainly don't have unprotected sex with anyone until you are tested)

Nurse Milli :

I understand. Alcohol can certainly impair the judgement.

Customer:

to say the least

Nurse Milli :

you didn't mention any symptoms..

Nurse Milli :

your not having any symptoms are you?

Customer:

no

Customer:

although I am paranoid and i feel like there could be something... but no, nothing overt

Customer:

i mean, i cant tell if theres slight tingling, but i feel like itd be more obvious if there were

Nurse Milli :

Ok, well just follow my advice on getting tested in a couple of weeks. It will be lab proven results and will give you peace of mind. Your Dr might also suggest more testing later on too.

Nurse Milli :

(more testing to cover you in case you come in too early and got a false negative)

Customer:

ok

Customer:

in your expert opinion, do I have a good chance of contracting something from this girl?

Customer:

i guess thats a silly question since u dont know any details about either of us..

Nurse Milli :

oh goodness...I'll tell you..this day and age, anything is possible. Wish I could tell you no, but It's a roll of the dice.

Customer:

great

Nurse Milli :

I do know that worrying is not going to help you

Nurse Milli :

easier said that done, right?

Customer:

i know and ive been told that.. easier said than done

Customer:

ha, exactly

Nurse Milli :

well, try to relax and get that test in a few weeks

Customer:

my mind drives me nuts, it doesnt stop

Nurse Milli :

(earlier if you have symptoms)

Customer:

i think i may go after one week as well..

Nurse Milli :

I know. It will be a good reminder to not do this again. Use it as a learning experience.

Customer:

its just that i dont want to put the girl ive been with at risk

Customer:

I will

Nurse Milli :

well, you go in to see your Dr whenever you feel comfortable

Nurse Milli :

they will guide you for testing

Customer:

i was going to use a clinic nearby that tests with labcorp..

Nurse Milli :

that is great

Customer:

ok well thanks for your help, i'm gonna go try to not think about it for now..

Nurse Milli :

you are welcome. glad I could a little. Yes, think of something else for a little while :)

Nurse Milli :

Good luck with your testing.

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

bye

Nurse Milli :

goodnight

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.