CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I think I may have Acute HIV infection as I have been having

I think I may have Acute HIV infection as I have been having some of the symptoms (sore throat, fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss) for about 2 weeks now, coinciding with the fact that I had unprotected sex about 3 weeks ago. Is there anything I should do at this point? Or do I have to wait 3 months to get tested?
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today! In all honesty.... it is much too soon to have symptoms of HIV. I truly do understand your worry and concern, but there is really nothing to be done at this point other than trying to calm yourself and wait until the three month mark for testing as your Doctor advised. The reason you have to wait that long is because your body needs a change to make antibodies for the test to be able to detect with some certainty. Or not detect, which is hopefully the case. Are you a male or female? There is a greater risk of HIV transmission with Anal sex due to the more delicate rectal tissue and the propensity to tear more easily. If I can help further, please let me know.