Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I am starting to get really worried about the constant

I am starting to get really worried about the constant pulsation in my head just to the right of my righ t ear.. throbbing pulsations that are fairly constant. for 6-7 weeks ive also had pulsations in my righ t leg lower by the upper calf.. not painful but annoying.. I had quadruple bypass s urgery last july and a by pass collapsed in dec. i have 5 stents in my heart what is causing the strange pulsATING nea my righ t ear,,?
could my carotid artery be blocked/?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

Have you had an ear exam?

Customer:

not recently

Dr B :

I see, and can you tell me what question about this condition you would like me to answer?

Customer:

what could be causing the pulsations in my head? they are just above and to the right of my righ t ear/

Dr B :

So not in your ear?

Dr B :

Are you there?

Dr B :

I mean, they are not inside your ear?

Dr B :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

yes i can

Customer:

no not in my ear

Dr B :

Are you having computer problems?

Customer:

in my head

Customer:

no

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

i am here

Dr B :

Okay

Customer:

just concerned with throbbing in my head the tips of both ears get birght red sometimes

Customer:

i also have optic neuritis diagnose in oct 2010 by eye dr.. he thinks an emboli broke loose during surgery and landed in my righ t eye

Dr B :

There are many possible causes
The most likely would be a venous hum from increased blood flow in your jugular vein
or
an arterio-venous malformation, which is an abnormal connection between an artery and a vein

Customer:

are either one very serious? and how would i have them checked?

Customer:

by the way thank you very much fo rthis help i have been thru so much in last 12 months

Dr B :

A venous hum is not very serious, but an AV malformation may lead to headaches and other conditions

Dr B :

The initial test would be a CT scan

Dr B :

And from there a possible MRI with contrast, or a CT angiogram/ MR angiogram

Customer:

iu had one in december of 2010 and have had 2 mris of my brain because of the optic neuritis

Customer:

all came back clear

Dr B :

Have you had the humming since then?

Customer:

yes the pulsating which i wouldnt really describe as a humming started 3-4 weeks ago

Customer:

is it possible my carotid artery is blocked ?

Dr B :

No, it is not blocked, it would likely cause a stroke if it was blocked

Customer:

ok thank you that is a relief

Dr B :

You're welcome, is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic?

Customer:

so if u were me and the pulsdating continues on or gets worse? what would be the 1st thing u would do?

Dr B :

I would have an MR angiogram, which would show the blood vessels

Customer:

is that like an mri ? do I get in the mri machine for that?

Dr B :

Yes, but it concentrates on the arteries

Customer:

ok but just to be sure its not an mri? doesnt last as long as an mri ?

Dr B :

It can last as long as an MRI, but they will inject fluid that will show your arteries mainly

Customer:

by the way Dr . I just had a nuclear stress test of my heart 3 weeks ago. would that have shown my arteries like the mr angiogram does?

Dr B :

No, that would not, the MR angiogram is for your head

Customer:

ok thats what i thought... just 1 mor e question then i will sign off

Dr B :

ok

Customer:

if i do have this mr angiogram do i have ot worry about radiation doses since ive had 2 mris of my brain in last year

Dr B :

MRI's do not emit dangerous radiation

Customer:

thanks you dr.. i appreciate your answers...

Dr B :

You're welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience