Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Hello yesteerday i asked you about the pinkish flecks... today

Hello yesteerday i asked you about the pinkish flecks...

today I had a BM and it was normal no flecks...just a light brown soft formed BM...

I was wondering since those pink flecks kind of dissolved in the tP when I prssed onthem..could they of been blood...

the bulk of my stool/stool was not red/marroon or black...just a few pink flecks that actually looked liked the twizzlers I ate the day before???
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hi there.

Can you tell me what you mean when you say tP? I just want to make sure I understand.

Julia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

toilet paper..

I asked you this yesterday...and you said it more than likely is food

Yes, I remember our conversation yesterday, I just wanted to make sure TP is toilet paper :)

Blood doesn't look pink on the toilet paper. It usually looks bright red and it usually is not in speckles or flakes. When there is blood in the stool it actually looks like bright red ink splattered on toilet paper, often it will be coated in the stool as well.

What you described really sounds like food particles and not blood. I can reassure you that there is no need to be concerned, especially since you had a normal bowel movement today without any flakes.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I answered your question, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes,

Julia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks julia....it wasnt a bright pink...but pinkish/with hint of orange...definately not splattered red ink..and that was only when I squished on the flakes and they dissolved...

I am 33 no history of bowel cancer...

it seems to happen when i eat salmon or shrimp and red peppers..etc..and nuts

If you notice it more when you eat certain foods, it is definitely related to food that you eat and not blood. The skin of red peppers, especially, may not fully dissolve in the belly and when it comes out, it may be reddish/pinkish. Beets, for example, will make stool have purple tones (sometimes looks like blood), asparagus will make urine very yellow :)

I can definitely reassure you that you have nothing to worry about. It wasn't blood.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss