drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

MY legs are particicuar week. I need a way to strengen

MY legs are particicuar week. I need a way to strengen my legs to get strong enough so I can walk normal. my rght leg is `1" shrter than my left leg. I can't do squats on both legs. My right leg was in a cast for 2 yrs because of a broken leg with infection in that leg. I first had a congenatal defect on both my legs because the Doctor cut of ny legs and an anyism and replaced them with a fabric material. This worked gret for a couple of weeks then I saw that the weekness of my legs started going down hill every sense. I know use a walker to get around. I can walk with my regular legs for time enough to walk ~20 ft. I went thru Physical Theraphy for several weeks. I can push the 40 lb weight 60 pumps of my leg only pushes, many times. The hardest thing for me is to stand up straight and hold up for more than 2.5 minutes. What do you suggest fror me to build up legs as strong as posible. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 2 years ago.

hello customer

as i can see you are off line i changed to q&a mode

the best way to strengthen your legs in your case no doubt is swimming. this takes out the variables of the leg length discrepancy and any gait issues that may cause other problems with traditional weight training. try using a kick board to focus on the legs and not the arms and shoulders. you can progress to water running which is a hard workout but weightless running with a weight belt to hold you in place.

when you do traditional leg extensions on machines with weight do one leg at a time since when doing them together the weaker is going to compensate and you wont get equal benefit.

-good luck

have fun

drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience: DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health