drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

blood work done recently as I have inexplicably shifted

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX can give me a little guidance today.

I had blood work done recently as I have inexplicably shifted from being hypothyroid requiring 200mcg of levythyroxine daily for the last 10 years, to hyperthyroid with a TSH of 0.03 and T4 of 13.6 (down from a high of 16 after 4 days cessation of levythyroxine) with idiopathic facial and abdominal edema which is presently being mitigated with prednisone pending my appointment with an endocrinologist.

I have a history of gluten intolerance, allergy to wheat, milk peanuts and sensitivities to soy and nightshades. I avoid all of these faithfully except dairy. Ninety to ninety-five percent of the foods I eat are organic and non-GMO.

Drug use is limited to vitamin C supplements, levythyroxine, benedryl, loratadine, ranatidine. Most of my illnesses are remedied with herbal teas, decoctions, poultices, diet modification. Herbs employed to treat minor maladies are: Corn-silk, yarrow, comfrey (external only), cayenne, lavender, rosemary, plantain, dandelion, rose-hips, chamomile, mint. cinnamon, cloves and apple cider vinegar. Presently, I use only prednisone and ranatidine. In the last month I have only used ranatidine, prednisone, benedryl and levythyroxine.

As a biologist and control freak who is hyper-vigilant about only healthy things going into my body, I do not consume alcohol, smoke or use street drugs. My only weakness is that I still consume dairy products despite being a Native American with a milk allergy. I am a lacto-ova vegetarian.

Aside from my TSH and T4 levels being abnormal my blood work was normal, granted many values were borderline, with the exception of my AST (9) Albumin (3.3) and A/G ratio (0.9) These were all LOW by the lab standards which were 15, 3.4, and 1.3 respectively.

BUN was a normal 9 with L = 7 and H = 22
BUN / Creatinine ratio was 13 L=12 H=22

Borderline values were:

Total Bili 0.3 L=0.2 H=1.0
ALT (SGPT) 30 L=30 H=65
Total Protein 6.8 L=6.0 H=8.5

So my questions are:

1) Are these values likely caused by my thyroid condition, or possibly some dietary mistake I am making like consuming milk despite having an allergy (ie;Something I can take immediate corrective action to improve by lifestyle modification)? Or...

2) do they, in your opinion, merit further evaluation and if so...

3) would the endocrinologist I am scheduled to meet with August 18th regarding my thyroid issues be the right professional to address the cause of these values as well? Or should I request an additional referral to another specialist as well for this and if so, which specialization?

Thank you for your time.
S.J. Heinisch
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.

drknowsbest :

these are rough estimates that you may not be consuming enough protein in your diet, you should at least be taking in 1g/kg of protein but if your albumin and liver enzymes are low then i would increase it if you are already doing so, give this a month and when you see endo and need more labs ask if they can check B12 folate and recheck prealbumin. these are rough gauges for a vegetarian if you are taking in enough protein and B12 which is harder to consume with just veggies and fruits

drknowsbest :

start with the thyroid and correction may help your overall situation, certainly the edema

drknowsbest :

as for another specialist-if the albumin levels dont increase with diet change then a nutritionist may be best

drknowsbest :

the milk allergy can lead to anemia or stomach upset but less likely to cause you current lab abnormalities