Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hi, I hit my head a week ago last Tuesday, egg size bump appeared

Hi, I hit my head a week ago last Tuesday, egg size bump appeared immediately. Right above my left eye. I tried putting ice after 24 hrs. went by and most of swelling has gone, now I have a black eye! My question is there is still a small lump just above my eyebrow, feels soft. Should I be concerned and see a doctor, as I have no health insurance that is why I haven't gone. I feel fine, no headache or dizzinesss, just ugly looking in one eye!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Is the lump tender? Red?
Any pain with eye movement?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not like it was! Not red and my eye movement is fine! I really don't have the money to go to the doctor, I am unemployed at the moment unfortunately. Do you think I can wait a few more days to see if it goes down any and should I still be using ice or heat perhaps to help it go down? I would have thought after a week the lump would be completely gone! It is about the size of a nickel. Thanks and hope I gave enough info to at least sooth my worries!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

I am sorry about the unemployment...I know how difficult times can be these days.

I do not think you need to worry about the lump. It sounds like residual soft tissue swelling from the injury.
The tissues of the brow and around the eyes are interconnected...when there is an injury to the eyebrow area, because of these tissue planes, any bleeding/fluid/swelling will be pulled down by gravity. That is why people get a black eye when they hit their head above the eyebrow itself.

It can take 10-14 days for the bruising and fluid to reabsorb.
At this point, you can try applying heat to the area; however, it probably won't do much to speed the resolution. It will just take time.

I would see your doctor only if you develop pain, redness, new onset headache, neck stiffness. visual changes and/or nausea/vomiting.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Abby for your information and will try heat and watch closely for any changes you mentioned. You have eased my mind but will follow up with a Dr. if it doesn't go down in a few days. Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

Take good care,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. Abby,

Hi, not sure if you remember me? How long can the lump take to go away exactly? It has been 3 weeks and still there above my eye brow. Not tender to touch or red and no headaches. It seems exactly the same size since a week ago, like it's not going down. I haven't been putting warm compresses on it! Should I try that My black eye is just about gone. As you know my situation with no insurance and I am unemployed still. What is the most time this lump should take to go away and see a physician? Just worried that's all! Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I remember!

What is the size of the lump at this time?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great! It's more like a straight line about the distance of half my pointer finger above my eyebrow. It's stayed the same for about a week now no change!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I still think the swelling is not serious.
However, I expected it to be pretty much gone by now.

It may be a collection of lymph fluid (called a seroma). These more commonly occur after surgery but can occasionally occur after an injury as well.
Seromas, when large, can be drained.

As long as they are not painful, red or getting larger, they can be watched because they will go away (it can take several months if large).

Because I cannot confirm this is what it is, I would give it one more week...if still no change, i would have it looked at (sooner if it gets bigger, painful or red).

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you so much! If I do end up having to go if no change, what type of physician do you recommend? Should I still continue with the warm compresses or don't bother? Thanks again for your help?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I would do the warm compresses. It may help.

If you don't have a regular doctor now, I would go to a walk-in clinic (urgent care) They should be able to take care of it and remove fluid if necessary. I do not think a specialist is necessary.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks Dr. Abby so much for all your help! Wish you were my regular doctor!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, that is a nice compliment...I appreciate it.

Dr Abby