Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I have had severe itching in my ears over the last 10 years.

I have had severe itching in my ears over the last 10 years. The only thing that has helped is staroids but I don't want to stay on staroids forever. Anything else that might help? I wonder if it's a more systemic issue, say candida or something. I want to get to the bottom of it versus topical steroids which only seem to deal with the symptom. Thanks for your help. Ann
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

When you say you have had itching in your ears, I am assuming this is in the ear canal. Do you have any other symptoms, such as drainage, swelling? And have you ever had this looked at by a doctor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much and, yes, it is in the ear canal. No drainage but a great deal of rawness and when checked by the doctors say different diagnosis of bacterial versus fungal. Treated with orange, peperment type oils from the naturalpathic then steroids from alopathic. Stumped because nothing seems to cure rather than cover symptoms.

HOpe this helps. Ann

Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for answering my questions.

Chronic itching of the ear canals can be due to a number of things. The most common are allergies (if your nose, throat or roof of your mouth itches often as well, it may be allergies), or a fungal (or yeast) type of infection that is chronic.

Ear canals are great places for fungal infection because it is dark and damp.

You might try a half and half solution of water and white vinegar to irrigate your ears with twice a day at first until the itching is under control, then daily. After a time, you may be able to reduce this to once a week.

The vinegar is a natural "anti-fungal" solution. If it doesn't work, the itching is most likely related to allergies.

Take care in drying your ears out each time you irrigate, but do not "stick" things in the canal such as Q-tips etc. I am sure you know this already.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management