Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Iam a very healthy 88 year old woman taking no medications

Iam a very healthy 88 year old woman taking no medications or over otc medications.I became concerned over a fairly mild twing in my right hip and made an appointment to see my Dr...Once in the office I was convinced by the statement"everyone needs a pneumonia vaccination !Immediatly after the injection I experianced severe knifelike pains through my chest which eventualy subsided but were replaced by weakness and pain in the effected arm that still persists I have experianced chills and weakness, lack of appetite and malaise for the past 15 days 220mg of aleve taken morning and night has done little or nothing to helpI can not help but wonder how many others have developed generalized muscular pain & weakness after receiving a pneumonia vaccination? I have suffered for two weeks with no improvement Today at my second office visit (since the immunization)I presented with a low grade fever and was told my blood work indicates "something besides a reaction to the immunization is going on,"... "possably an inflamation somewhere." My Dr is now postulates I have had polymyalgia rheumatica for some time and this is just the latest flair up. I have never felt this debilitated or any thing like this in my life! how do I help my doctor to rule out bacterial indocarditis/septic arthritus from his initial impression of polymyalgia nheumatica. I really feel the source of this problem was the pneumonia immunization. Please advise

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

What blood tests did you have?

Customer:

I didn't get to see the order I assumed a cbc..I( am now wondering if a esr was included).will get a copy in the mail eventualy.......Today blood was taken for a magnesium level, vitamin d level and some test that was to show if the inflamation has increased...(.thought to prove that his idea was correct.) Could he be talking about a second esa? whatever the test was it was to show the level of inflamation.

Dr B :

I see, if it was to show inflammation then it should have been an ESR and a CRP

Dr B :

Was the CBC normal?

Customer:

He did not mention it being an indication of any infection. when I ask about the cbc he glossed over it as if it was not important so I assumed it was normal.....wish I had the results in front of me!

Dr B :

I see, and what questions about this condition would you like me to answer?

Customer:

I am worried about the delay in nailing down the source of the problem. the possability of endocarditis mimicking PMR seems to be a dire possibility and wish to rule that out.....I understand the Pneumonia vaccine is a weakened coccus and enterococcus was the source of a 77 year old mans problem that was innitialy diagnosed as PMR I just read about on line.

Customer:

I am not very eager to undergo any steroid treatment when I am not convinced this is an ongoing condition.

Dr B :

The 2 tests to rule out an infection are a CBC and a blood culture

Customer:

would it be ok to ask for a blood culture to be done ? what test or procedure would rule out a reaction to something in the vaccination? Should I investigate what medium was used to grow this vaccine in so I can avoid any other injections grow that way?

Dr B :

It is perfectly fine for you to ask for a blood culture

Dr B :

A reaction to the vaccine would likely cause an infection, so the best thing to test for is an infection

Dr B :

There are 2 different pneumo vaccines, so you need to ask them which one they gave you

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I hope to be able to get back to you when the lab results are in my hand as I will be much more informed then. can I reach you again ? If I make a nice request? Ha Ha ....................I know any one else there will be as capable and able to read all my info right?.........Thanks so much again,

Customer:

Yours truly,

Customer:

Neva

Customer:

in Oregon

Dr B :

You're welcome

Dr B :

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns

Dr B :

If not please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session