Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Can i take citalopram with ritalin safely

Customer Question

Can i take citalopram with ritalin safely? (I take 10mg of Citalopram at night, makes me sleeop great (to treat general anxiety disorder) but makes me sleepy and dosy as well. Can I take Ritalin with this.Should I take it at a different time or the same time?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!

The only thing is that taking these two drugs may cause increase plasma concentration of citalopram. Hence,there is no major interaction between these two drugs, so you can safely take them together. If required dose can be adjusted to minimize this effect. Since you have just started citalopram, i thinking you don't have to do anything at this time.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, you say, "since I have only just started taking the citalopram" but actually it's been a few months, it's only been a few weeks since my dose was reduced to 10 mg. Does that make a difference? If i had been taking it longer would there be more concern?
Is plasma concentration anythingn to worry about?
I'm bascially happy with citalopram as this reduced my anxiety but looking to increase my concentration adn cognitive performacne with the ritalin.
Thanks fro your help!!
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Even in that case, you don't have to worry.
It is just that you could achieve therapeutic level with smaller dose. I do not see any reason to worry about it at all. Just continue with the prescription as given to your by your doctor. It is always good to keep yourself with optimal dose as required by your body to relief symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Here is the link from two different sources about these drugs' interaction, click here1, click here2.

Overall, I don't see any reason to worry because if required your dose of citalopram will be reduced, which is good in several ways. Moreover, there is a chance that taking Ritalin will augment the clinical effects of citalopram.
Please let me know if you have any further concern.
Thank you for visiting justanswer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i realise it wasn't ritalin, it's Atomoxitine Hydrochloride. Can I safely take that whilst taking citalopram?
Many thanks for your help!

Jacqueline
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up.
There is no interaction between atomoxetine and citalopram. Thus, you can safely take these drugs at the same time, it will not affect each other.

Thank you for visiting justanswer. Please let me know if you have any further concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a lot of difficulty concentrating, doing anything. I thought it was due to anxiety, but now I take citalopram it's gone, but i still can't focus or get anything done. Do you think ritalin would be better than atomexetine and i should try that or just start with the amoxetine and see how that goes first?
Thank you!!
Jacqueline
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
I see that you are taking only 10 mg citalopram since 4 weeks and it is working for you. If you have depression symptoms as well, then my personal opinion is to increase the dose to 20 mg and continue it for 4 weeks and see if it is helpful for you. Have you talked to your doctor about taking Ritalin or Atomoxetine for your current symptoms?
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't suffer from depression, the Dr prescribed citalopram for my General Anxiety Disorder. Never had depression except for 6 months after my Dad died. Certainly not now. I used to have ADHD as a child and it was never treated, but I still have trouble concentrating and focusing, always been a problem but I want to do something about it. I haven't talked to my doctor about the concentration thing. He said the anxiety makes concentration more difficult but now it's under control i still want to address the concentration, being alert thing, so ordered some ADHD medication from the internet. I was expecting Ritalin but got sent Atomoxetine. 10mg. I think I'll give it a go for a while and try Ritalin if it doens't work. But start with half a tablet daily and work up to 10mg a day after a week to check there are no issues. Any ideas how long before it should start being effective so I can tell whether it's working?

Many thanks for your help!
Jacqueline
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
I do not support the idea of self medication so it is up to you to decide.
As far as the decrease concentration is concerned, it can be a part of anxiety as well as depression or any other problems. If your concentration problem is due to underlying depression, then increasing the celexa dose would work for your, and it will also avoid unwanted hassle. As far as atomoxetine is concerned, it is indicated for ADHD. Some people may see few improvements within 2-4 weeks, but it is said that this meds may take 6-8 weeks for its full therapeutic effects.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used to be on a higher dose of citalopram, 15 mg, then 20, but the doctor reduced it as I was falling asleep at work and sleeping 12 hours a day as it was too powerful for me. I'm much better on 10mg a day, (even then I think it's sometimes too strond a dose (i sleep very heavily (take it at night)), so I don't think going back on to a higher dose of citalopram would help, as my anxiety symptoms are fine. I excersize regularly (cycle to work every day) adn very happy and active but I've always been unable to concentrate, a bit hyper, can't focus. I could try talking to my doctor, he's very helpful but it's so expensive everytime I see him (even with healthcare insurance) I'm from the UK, so not used to a large bill after every visit.
I think I'll give it a try for the 4 weeks (I only have 30 tablets) and if it helps, will speak o my doctor and see if he would prescribe it for me. But teh conentration difficulties are something I've had all my life. And it's never been sorted. It's probably slightly better now than it used to be (i had such a difficult time at school for example!) but it 0is still an issue today, I can't focus at work and am constantly distracted. I've always been this way, but it's driving me crazy after nearly 30 years. Just want to find some way of adressing the balance now that my anxiety isn't a problem.
Thanks,
Jacqueline
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
If your concentration problem is due to being a bit hyper, then atomoxetine could be helpful in that case. I am including a link from where you can read about this medication in detail including its dosing information, click here.