Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I am a 60 year old male. I am a very fit person and work out

I am a 60 year old male.
I am a very fit person and work out almost every day.
In the last month I have had a sore left nipple. At first I thought I simply brused it.
It is still sore and am not sure of what I feel their is a muscle or a lump. Today the pain is not very high.
I do not take any medication.
I have also noticed white spots on my finger nails.
My diet is fish, chicken and vegs and fruit.
The only thing different I have done is a protein recovery for after my work outs.
I have look on the internet and it seems breast cancer is a very small possibility.
Should I go to see my doctor.
Thanks
Robert
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Usually, a lump that is cancerous would not be sore or painful. These are usually painless. Most likely you have a small cyst under the nipple, which will resolve itself in time. However, it is always best to have these type of lumps checked by your doctor. Sometimes, lumps do not fall in the "usually" category. And since you have had this soreness for about a month, it would be best to have it checked.

As for the white spots on your fingernails: these are caused by an injury to the nail bed. The spots on the nail are like bruises on your skin. But with nails, it takes longer for the spots to show up after the injury, by which time you have forgotten how you injured the nail. The spots will grow out with the nail.