Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

What could cause burning kind of pain in the upper left arm

What could cause burning kind of pain in the upper left arm?
The pain has been there for a couple of months and only on the left side (no other symptoms like chest pain, breathing problems, nausea, dizziness etc.)
No severe or extreme physical activity but has polycythemia and neuropathic pain.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Is there any pain in neck?
Have you undergone x-rays test?
What type of neuropathic pain you are having?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope, no pain in the neck. Havent had x-ray tests recently too.
As for neuropathic pain, usually get it on back and legs.

This arm pain is just recent. its a different kind of pain like burning.
Have polycythemia so ust worried it could be related to a stroke or something because it's only on the left side..
Thanks for the info given.I had started working your question. Please stay online, I will post your answer in a couple of minutes.
Thanks for the info given & staying online.The burning pain you are having does not seem to be due to heart disease or stroke. Most likely this pain is due to neuropathy only. Because every nerve has a highly specialized function in a specific part of the body, a wide array of symptoms can occur when nerves are damaged. Its most common causes are: Diabetes (diabetic neuropathy),Dietary deficiencies (especially vitamin B-12,Excessive alcohol use (alcoholic neuropathy),uremia (from kidney failure).

Any underlying condition is treated first, followed by symptomatic treatment.Analgesics,low doses of antidepressants and some anticonvulsant medications may be prescribed for relief of pain,burning sensation. This is not related to polycythemia. So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & treatment will be done accordingly.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.