Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

Can diabetes cause a false positive drug test

Can diabetes cause a false positive drug test? My daughter was diagnosed with type 1, and has not had very good control the past few years and when she took a recent drug test it came up positive for alcohol, but when she was given a breath test it was negative.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
Diabetes will not affect drug testing.It has got no relation with it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I read several articles posted on WEB MD which stated that if the blood suars are not under control and if the person has a yeast infection, depending on how long the urine sits before it is tested it is possible to have a false positive for alcohol.

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
Alcohol does not come in the drug testing normally.There are separate methods to test it.So as you asked about drug test I answered about other drugs like marijuana etc. not alcohol. Yes,it is true in case of uncontrolled diabetes and yeast infection alcohol can be falsely detected in urine.However,its quantity will not be high.
Hope it helped.