Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Im 30 year olds and I been struggling with my speech, its

Customer Question

I'm 30 year olds and I been struggling with my speech, it's gotten worse as time goes by. I never had any issues with my speech as a child but I have done different drugs like weed, binge drinking and MDMA. I never needed any rehab or anything like that, I was never a addict but I did it for a while, till my mid 20's and since my early twenties I started having speech difficulties like I started stuttering, I was getting tongue twisted, I forget words as I'm talking, I miss pronounce words, I just make so many mistakes as I'm talking especially when I get nervous about something. It's starting to take it's toll on me, I feel embarrassed a lot to the point where I just don't want to speak.. I been feeling depress because it's worse and worse. What's causing this? Is there any treatment? Please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

The first thing is to see a Speech and Language Therapist for an assessment to see if there is a physical problem with your speech. From the way you describe things then it is possible that you have a social phobia which is the underlying matter. But the key issue is to get an independent evaluation.

Pauline :

However if you have any other problems such as weakness in the hands, unsteadiness walking or loss of sensation any part of your body then you need to see a doctor as soon as possible for a full neurological examintion.

Pauline :

Pauline :

At your age, then the most likely explanation is stress and anxiety so some simple techniques for relaxation may be helpful, as well as practice vocal exercises.

JACUSTOMER-oba3wztx- : Thanks. I know i have social phobia because when I'm around a room full of strangers I get nervous and my speech problem intensifies, I try to avoid everything that involves meeting new people. Did using drugs cause this speech and social phobia issue? or was It something that just developed over the years?
Pauline :

I suspect the underlying cause is a 'multifactorial' which means many things could have contributed to your current situation. Certainly it has been shown that use of some drugs (such as cannabis) increases risk of some mental health issues.

Pauline :

However a social phobia can be sorted if you are prepared to put some time and effort into first seeing a a counsellor, to explore underlying issues and undertake cognitive behavioural therapy and also start medication such as citalopram which is very good for social phobia but takes some time to be stick with it. You will then feel more confident about entering social events and over time, things will improve.