Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

normal glucose reading, first thing in the morning,before meals

What is a normal glucose reading, first thing in the morning,before meals and after meals?
Thank you
XXXXX XXXXX

The normal glucose reading first thing in the morning (called the 'fasting glucose level) should be between 70 to 100 mg/dL. Levels between 100 and 125 indicate prediabetes and higher than 125 mg/dL suggest diabetes.

Another test for the blood sugar level is called the “random blood glucose” - this test may be taken at any time in relation to eating or drinking and can be administrated at any time. A level higher than 140 mg/dL can indicate prediabetes. A level above 200mg/dL indicates diabetes.

The third type of blood sugar test is the after meal or post-prandial test. This should be less than 140mg/dL. Higher levels indicate diabetes.

There is no specific test for a before meal test - this is called the random blood sugar test.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Your answer was extemely helpful. How long after you eat should you test? I've ben told I'm prediabetic and will probably be asking more questions at a later time

Thank you very much

The post prandial test should be done 2 hours after a meal.

You are welcome to ask more questions.

I hope this helps.