911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

how do i tell the difference between gas pain and appendicitis,

how do i tell the difference between gas pain and appendicitis, if pain is located in lower right quadrant? Pain is not severe, does not worsen with coughing. It could be best described as twinges.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

YOU can not... in fact... depending on the history of the pain and how it came on and the exam of your abdomen most surgeons STILL order a CT scan if the appendix is a possibile diagnosis.

Customer:

Thank you

911Doctor :

you are welcome.... but do you have any more questions. I mean there IS a classic story FOR appendicitis and other symptoms that come with it.... is this you we are talking about or is it a friend or family member?

911Doctor :

this LINK is a very easy to read explanation about appendicits and how it TYPICALLY looks to a patient and to a doctor.... but the TYPICAL is rarely what happens in real life with this particular disease.

Customer:

It is me. I have had gas since last night after eating raw vegetables, so I felt this was a possibility.

911Doctor :

sorry, here's the LINK

911Doctor :

are you hurting, having a fever, or vomiting?

Customer:

That's just it. I am not in severe pain, and do not have any of the other symptoms. It's just that I thought the gas pain, if that is what it is, mild though it may be, would go away after the night, especially since I took GasX

Customer:

Thank you for the link.

911Doctor :

you are welcome....

911Doctor :

if you get worse during the day, if you develop pain in one particular part of your abdomen (right side low) and start vomiting or develop fever then you should worry about appendicitis.... and that means you need to be checked immediately...

911Doctor :

right now I see no harm in waiting.

Customer:

Great! That is what I wanted to know. Thank you so very much.

911Doctor :

you are welcome...

911Doctor :

if you have no further questions please do click 'accept' so that I may be reimbursed for my time.... if you do have more questions I am standing by.

Customer:

This is my first time using this service, so I am not sure how it works but I suppose I will now 'accept' the answer. Is that right?

Customer:

Thanks again.

911Doctor :

glad to be of help.

911Doctor :

that is correct, but just because you 'accept' does not mean you can not come back to this question from under the 'my questions' tab and, as long as the question has to do with what we have talked about above, I will be happy to answer without extra charge... just hit 'reply' instead of 'accept'.

Customer:

Wonderful. Many thanks! I appreciate it.

911Doctor :

;)

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician