Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

why have I lost most of my muscle after a cabage and cannot

why have I lost most of my muscle after a cabage and cannot gain it back
I am on 80mg of simvasatin since operation plus many oyher meds
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. How long ago did you have your surgery? How much weight did you lose?

Customer:

28 months ago lost 40 lbs

CamilleRN :

Weight loss due to surgery often comes in the form of muscle mass loss. While it can be lost fairly quickly, building it back up take time. What works is a consistent health diet rich in protein ( lean meats) , healthy carbs ( Grains and whole grain breads) and healthy fats ( olive , canola oils..fish oil) and regular muscle building exercise. Are you on an exercise program?

Customer:

yes, I am doing all that and PT 3 times a week at rehab plus my daily routine,they will not

Customer:

I did not get a answer yet

CamilleRN :

When you do the exercises... do you get to a point that it begins to hurt?

CamilleRN :

Sometimes if you push too much it can cause swelling which will then cause more pain

Customer:

I think I am wasting you time, I guess I need to know if there is a legimate connection

Customer:

to simvastain and muscle loss or damage

CamilleRN :

Simvastin side effects can include joint pain, memory loss, and muscle cramps

CamilleRN :

it can also cause muscle breakdown

CamilleRN :

I would recommend you discuss this with your Doctor and consider whether this medication is causing you a problem with muscle.

Customer:

In other words I just wasted $18.00 dollars for nothing

CamilleRN :

You have not clicked accept so, no, you didn't pay for this answer. What more information can I help you with? You should not discontinue medications without first consulting with your Doctor.

Customer:

I can see you have not even looked at what I told you in any serious, I am talking about loosing

Customer:

the use of my legs and you say it may take a while. please forget I mentioned my problem to you

Customer:

I can see there is no concern

CamilleRN :

I am sorry, but no where did I read anything about the loss of the use of your legs... your question was in reference to loss of muscle mass after heart surgery. I have provided the best information that I can, I am sorry if this is not what you are looking for. I will opt out so another Expert can assist you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. I am sorry for the delay in any additional responses.

Since you are taking the highest recommended dose of simvastatin, and since you have had other causes of your muscle weakness and possible injury ruled out, you really need to discuss with your doctor the very high possibility that the statin drug is the cause.

If your doctor feels the simvastatin is the cause, the drug should be either reduced in dose or stopped. There are other medications available for high cholesterol. Make sure to discuss this with your doctor before stopping the drug.

Here is some information that you might want to review before talking to your doctor:

FDA: High dose Simvastatin and risk for muscle injury

RxList.com: Warning and Precautions for Zocor (simvastatin)

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management