TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

I developed what I thought was a rash on my left front upper thigh

I developed what I thought was a rash on my left front upper thigh. About the size of a quarter. It would re-occur in the EXACT same place maybe twice a year but not every year.
As time passed I developed it again only it surfaced on my left upper buttocks, closer to the tail bone. This one seemed to surface about 3 or 4 times a year and always in the Exact same place . I even have a scar from the re-occurring infections. Now it seems it has moved on to my lower stomach, below and to my left of the belly button.
All the infections are identical in size and symptoms. Starts out as an itch looking like a insect bite. Then two or three more little "bites" appear and then more and more. What they really were are blister like bubbles. I had a whole series of small water blisters with in the size of a quarter.
And they itched and oozed for 3 or 4 days.
The latest one,still present, on my stomach is twice the size of the infections in the other two locations. The only thing visually wrong is that this one seem to "spider vain" out word leaving smaller blisters.
Is it a parasite ?
Thank you for any help.

Craig T.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 3 years ago.

Hi Craig.

This sounds extremely likely that you are describing recurrent herpes lesions- They recur at varying rates- in some people a couple times a year, in some people monthly and in some never. The location being on the thigh or abdomen or buttock is certainly consistent with herpes, and the description of multiple small 'blisters" grouped together is quite characteristic.

This is most certainly not a parasite.

Of course to be absolutely positive, a doctor would need to take a culture or sample of the lesions while they are active. But merely based on your description, I would be pretty confident in my diagnosis.

I would suggest describing it exactly as you have here to your doctor ( or seeing an infectious diseases specialist). They could also check for antibodies to herpes- by a blood test.

This is an important diagnosis to make, as there are antiviral medications that you can take, both to treat an episode, and to prevent outbreaks, if needed. Plus, once someone is infected with HSV, they always are, and you can spread the virus, even when you do not have an active outbreak.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My wife is the only person I have ever been with.
Is this the only way I could of contracted it ?

It would be very uncommon to contract "genital" herpes non sexually- although not impossible.

As I noted some people can have herpes for years without any symptoms- so she potentially could already be infected, without symptoms and could have passed it to you.

I assume you mean even before you were married you had not had ANY other partners- as you likely were infected many years ago.

Another thing to know is that HSV can also cause oral lesions- usually HSV-1 ( but not always). One can certainly get the HSV-1 causing skin lesions anywhere on the body- but to become infected requires close contact with someone shedding the virus.

But again, please note that I would not want you to think this is an absolute certain diagnosis- without a doctor examining you- As I noted before an antibody blood test can see if you have been infected, and while an outbreak is present, the blisters can be sampled. Until these were done, I would not want you to draw any definite conclusions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will have it properly diagnosed but should my wife be concerned with it also ?
In her case if she does possess it, what happens if it is left unchecked ? long term.

Usually HSV does not cause "long term" problems.

In the majority of people who have symptoms, it is like you, with recurrent skin lesions.

A nuisance, but not life threatening.

Good luck.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.