How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Valarie Your Own Question
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1228
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
Type Your Health Question Here...
Valarie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Systemic and discoid lupus, my discoid lupus is mild

Resolved Question:

I have Systemic and discoid lupus, my discoid lupus is mild and generally is just attributing to my sun sensitivity and patches of red blood blistered skin blotches on my legs, hair loss, etc. the last couple years I have been getting small clusters of blister like patches on my fingers - generally ranging from the middle knuckle to the top of my finger - and generally only on the tops not underneath of them. Occasionally the blotches are lower on my fingers depending on how bad the "attack" is. my Rheumatologist and normal Primary doctor just tell me to use hydro cortisone and to increase my prednisone dosage until it calms down again which can often take weeks, or months to clear completely.
I want to know what this stuff is and if there is a more effective way to treat it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. I'm sorry you have waited such a long time for a response. If you still need assistance, can you answer this:


Do your hand lesions look similar to this?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the blisters are smaller and closer to the surface of the skin with less raised areas. the blisters eventually get a dark blotch in the middle, dry out and the skin cracks/flakes off.
they are not warts and it is not psoriosis
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

OK. The picture I sent you is from a patient with discoid lupus.


There is also a form of lupus that actually causes blisters. To confirm the diagnosis. this, your doctor would have to biopsy the lesions. There are also several medications that can be effective for this condition. If your doctor has not considered these, perhaps you could discuss it with him/her.


There is quite a bit of information about this condition, so I will give you the link. I think you can access it without registering for the site, but if not, registration is free. It's a good source for information, though a bit technical. Here's the link:

Bullous Lupus Erythematosus

There are several sections to the article, with work-up and treatment included. You might want to share it with your doctor, but your rheumatologist is most likely familiar with this disorder. Most of the medications that are used have side effects that you would want to discuss with your doctor before proceeding also.


Also, since this most likely a dermal manifestation of the disease process (or even if it is caused by some other condition), it would be good to have this evaluated by a Dermatologist.

Valarie and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you